Author Topic: helping a newbie!!  (Read 8541 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: helping a newbie!!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 January 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I wish you luck, Juliah - it looks like you're going to need it!

Just to clarify:

1. Am I right in thinking that you never found him on any earlier censuses?

2. Am I right - did you mean that you'd found him on the 1901 on some websites where his birthplace is actually given as Bradford, Lancashire?

I'm still going to try and find him on the 1881 census when Family Search is running properly. (Glutton for punishment, but I don't like to admit defeat!!)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juliah

Just on the subject of John Willie/William don't rule out the William.  Just because he was referred to on his marriage cert etc as Willie does not mean he didn't start out life as William

My Faith on marriage, childrens's certs, census and death records was Birth registered as Kate Elizabeth ...........go figure!

NOTHING is as it seems in genealogy, you need to consider the Williams too.
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 01:36 GMT (UK) »

What is the Mothers name on marriage cert?

trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Mother's name is not stated on english marriage certs unfortunately  :(
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 04:33 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Madpants :-
[ Shows how many English marriage certs I have applied for ;)

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillruss 8)

I have never found John on any census other than the 1901, this is due to the fact that there are so many John w Taylors and fathers called William that it really is so hard to determine which one is him,especially as i have so little info on him.

Now regarding how Lancs came in to it.When i have been searching on various websites for info on Bradford, i often wondered why the search engine was coming up with Bradford Lancashire.I now know that there is a Bradford in Lancashire.....you learn something new every day ::)

The 1901 census def states Bradford Yorks so i can rule out Lancs,but i have wondered if maybe he necessarily wasnt born in Brad Yorks but lived there as a baby and just gave this area as his birth place.I think the best avenue is to rule out all the John Willie`s and then start looking at John William.I may order the birth certificates for John Willie in Oldham but i wont be silly spending my money on ordering loads.  Why are so many names listed as John W or John H, why can`t they just state the middle name it would make our research a lot easier. 8)

Anyway im glad you like a challenge,do it`s over to you.................................good luck.xx

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juliah - excuse me for butting in.

I just noticed that you'd expressed a possibility of consulting a professional. I have limited experience on this site, but the little I have is all totally positive. The people on here are bloodhounds and tenacious bu**ers to boot. My feeling is that if they can't collectively find what you're looking for, it ain't there to find. A professional isn't going to change that situation.

Let 'em run with it. It may take a while but if there's anything there, they'll get it in the end. I've watched them slogging and I've seen flashes of inspirational brilliance - and I've rarely seen a non-result.

Best of luck.

(For all you bloodhounds, cheques for the advertisement can be made out to ............................ )

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Mike - cheque's in the post!!!  ::)

Juliah,

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood and thought you had actually found some census transcriptions which gave JW's birthplace as Bradford, Lancs. So, it looks as if you are looking for one born in Bradford, Yorks and, on the face of it, there ain't any John Willie Taylors born in Yorkshire at the right time. So it looks as if he was given his full name when registered.

I agree it's a possibility that he was born in Lancs or Cheshire and moved to Bradford as an infant so remembers that as his birthplace.

I still think it's a priority to try and find him on the 1891 and 1881 censuses - particularly the 1881 when he would have only been about 10 years old and more likely to be living at home.

It may be a case of finding all the likely candidates and eliminating them along the way e.g. you need to find a couple where the wife is a widow by 1901 census (as William Taylor died before JW's marriage in 1899).

Unfortunately, Family search census is still not working properly (on my PC anyway!) so I'll take a look at Find Your Past.

By the way, I know I said I like a challenge but I'm not flying solo here, the others are still helping (I hope).

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 13:57 GMT (UK) »
please refer back to my posts 6/10 & 12 for the above census etc!!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)