Author Topic: helping a newbie!!  (Read 8540 times)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: helping a newbie!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Could John Willie actually be John William??  Just to confuse me even more!!

Thankyou to you all for all your help and suggestions.  Maybe i should just order birth certificates around the area and suggested year of birth and just try to eliminate........well i would if i won the lottery!!      Diddy i am going to follow your lead up if i can.Thanks.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:09 GMT (UK) »
1891 in worsborough, Barnsley:

Ann Taylor   50  wid
John W        20   coal miner
Maria           17    gen servant
Charles       14   coal miner

Always down as John W. in indexes / census.

Think this one mose likely.  West Yorks.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi PaulineJ,

Good idea!!  I am getting on to it right now.......whilst cooking dinner!!
Thanks for your help. The man is such a headache!! ::)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Birth for the Wortley one:

John William Taylor  dec Q 1871  wortley  9c / 192

would have thought john Willie was def john William!!
Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't go ordering certificates willy (Willie - get it!!  ::)) nilly - it could prove very expensive and still not produce the goods!

I've looked on FreeBMD and the only John Willie Taylor births I can find at the right time are in Lancashire. (2 in Oldham and 1 in Rochdale(who died same year) - oh and another in Northwich, Cheshire.)

I didn't know there was a Bradford in Lancs - I looked it up and , if I've got it right, it's bang in the middle of Greater Manchester and, of course, Oldham is also pretty much part of Manchester (although I'm sure people from Oldham would argue that one).

So, if you say that some websites give JW's birthplace on the 1901 census as Bradford, Lancs - perhaps that's right???

Family Search 1881 Census is still playing up - or is it just me? but if it ever rights itself, it might be worth looking for a Taylor family from Lancashire with William as Head of household.

These censuses can send you off in all sorts of wrong directions - I spent months once looking for my great grandmother's birth (and wasting money on birth certs) in Wales because an enumerator or a transcriber had read Great Marlow (GM) in Bucks as Glamorgan (GLAM) in Wales!!

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Juliah's first post says 1901 bradford, yorks. am i missing something here?
no mention of Lancs!!

Diddy

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
what, we haven't had a right town, wrong county before?

I think we might be better off waiting for 1911 before wasting any certificate money...

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 January 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the 1881 census return, Wortley and Ecclesfield are these days both suburbs/satellite villages on the northern side of Sheffield, so very definitely in Yorkshire and nowhere near the Lancs border at that point.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 January 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi  all,

Thankyou all for racking your brains for me. I will clarify for you all where i am with this mystery man.  His name is John Willie Taylor...Willie not William.This is is stated on his marriage certificate and also on his childrens baptism records, so until i find anything telling me other than this i am looking for a John Willie, not John William :)

According to the 1901 census he was born in Bradford Yorks and according to the marriage and census record he was born around 1870-71,this is assuming he hasn`t lied about his age!!His  father was William Taylor as stated on his marriage certificate who at the time of marriage(1899) was deceased.This is the only info that i have on him and yes i can`t wait for the 1911 census but this poses another problem for me......he left his wife and supposedly went to oz .The 1911 census will hopefully narrow down the years that he left as they had their last child in 1909 and Rosa had another child by someone else in 1914!! Confused...I AM!! :)

There isn`t alot of John Willie Taylors born in the surrounding years when he was born but none are for Bradford,well not that i can see. So either he was born somewhere else and lived in or near Bradford and stated Bradford on the census as this was his closest town or he never came from there and was lying...or his name was actually John William Taylor.Whatever the reason is this man doesn`t want to be found!!    Maybe he never went to oz maybe he was in prison? Who knows :)

I just want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all looking for me and also for your suggestions.Feel free if you want to try and solve the mystery of this man ;)

Without a mothers name or any siblings he is too hard to find.Maybe now is the time to ask for a proffessional to help?  God bless you all and i will let you know if i make anymore progress.I will try to trace the John Willie of Oldham and Northwich,you never know he may be my man.xx