Author Topic: Merchant Navy Records WW2  (Read 17571 times)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records WW2
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 January 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,
Are you able to post a scan of the CRS 10 segment. I may be able to spot something that may help. I don't think FORT PELLY was in Cardiff in April 1943  but I cannot be 100% sure.

I can point you to a crew list for FORT PELLY but no point in wasting money on a guess. Can you try a scan.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline wakokid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 January 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hugh

Here's the relevant bit.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 January 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Paul,

The writing is not clear at all but my money would be on FORT STEELE official number 168391. She was in Barry on April 25th 1943 and arrived Liverpool on 19th August 1943.

If you wanted to take a chance on this one then you should find a crew-agreement for FORT STEELE at Kew in piece BT 381/2638 at this link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=8209348&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C168391&accessmethod=0 hit the link then "Request this" then take the Digital Express option and follow instructions. Ask for the Crew Agreement for FORT STEELE official number 168391 covering April - September 1943 cost should be £8.50 for up to 10 document pages direct to your email address on a 24 hour service - no find no fee. This will give a list of the crew and their signing on and off dates as well as the port.

If you wished to try for FORT PELLY official number 168346 then her final crew agreement should be in piece BT 381/2633 at this link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=8209343&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C168346&accessmethod=0  this ship was bombed of Augusta in 1943 but I dont see a mention on the CRS 10 to indicate the ship being sunk and also I dont think she was in the UK on the dates shown on the document. I dont think this one is your ship.

You would have to pay your money and take a chance.

Hope that helps
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline wakokid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 January 09 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hugh

I have put in the order.

Another query - hoping you are happy to help.

Below is a scan, the buff coloured card lists some ships numbers.  The 3rd down appears to be 189238.  I haven't been able to find the name of this ship.

Is the number correct or should it be read as 169238 or similar?

Regards

Paul

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 January 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
The official number 189238 looks correct, however, as you have found out there appears to be no name to match that number. I have tried a few combinations but none fit the dates.

I think the only way to find out would be to order the Crew Agreement for the fourth official number on your CR2 card which I think is 146580 (PORT CAMPBELL). Usually, but not always, these agreements show the name of the seaman's previous ship. So, again, you have to pay out a few quid and take a chance.

The Crew Agreement for PORT CAMPBELL official number 146580 for the year 1941 should be held at TNA in piece BT 381/1440  here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=8197407&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C146580&accessmethod=0 you know how to order these now but ask for the Crew Agreement for PORT CAMPBELL official number 146580 covering March - May 1941.
Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline wakokid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hugh

I've got the crew agreement for Fort Steele but my father isn't listed.

I think I'll get the crew agreement for his next ship Jamaica Producer to see if he lists his last ship.

Just looking at the CRS10 the Fort ship I'm looking for seems to say Pro Reg instead of a ship's number.  Could this be Pre Reg (Registration)?  If so it might imply that he boarded a brand new ship that had arrived from Canada to take it to it's ultimate delivery port.

Is that possible?   I don't quite know how these ships were delivered/registered.

Regards

Paul

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Paul,

Just looking at the CRS10 the Fort ship I'm looking for seems to say Pro Reg instead of a ship's number.  Could this be Pre Reg (Registration)?  If so it might imply that he boarded a brand new ship that had arrived from Canada to take it to it's ultimate delivery port.

Yes this is a distinct possibility, the only problem you would have with this is if there was no official number recorded against the vessel then it probably won't have a crew list as they were recorded against the ship's O/N.

I think I'll get the crew agreement for his next ship Jamaica Producer to see if he lists his last ship.

Yes certainly worth doing.

The only drawback for you at this stage is that  guesswork, even educated, can cost you a few quid but it is worth it if you get the information you require.  Of course if you were able to visit the Archives in person then the information would be free.

Regards
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Paul - apologies for butting in.....I just wanted to say a big thank you to Hugh for the wonderfully clear instructions on how to use the NA site! I've struggled before but am now awaiting copies of the CRS10 for my grandfather.

This has been an intersting thread and Paul I hope you find the info you want!

Many thanks indeed :)

Karen
Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Paul - apologies for butting in.....I just wanted to say a big thank you to Hugh for the wonderfully clear instructions on how to use the NA site! I've struggled before but am now awaiting copies of the CRS10 for my grandfather.

You are welcome Karen. Merchant Navy records are not the easiest to find but I hope you get the info you require.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO