Author Topic: Old School Yard, Tottenham – Taylor and Draper  (Read 3937 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Old School Yard, Tottenham – Taylor and Draper
« on: Tuesday 06 January 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I've recently discovered a reference to travelling showmen/Gypsies in Old School Yard, Tottenham, North London. They are a Delia Draper (widow, born Taylor) and her family in a caravan, belonging to the Hertfordshire Draper clan I'm researching.

Does anyone know anything about this address? Was it a wintering place for show folk?

Thanks in advance.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline jojoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Yard, Tottenham – Taylor and Draper
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello in response to your enquiry my grandmother Emma Kefford had premises known as The Old School Yard Tottenham Hale I belieive she leased these premises and I through other researchers have traced back to a death in School Yard in 1908. Indeed Emmas husband Joseph Kefford died in the yard (cert obtained) in 1913. My mother was born in ther yard in 1924 and she tells me Emma kept the yard until about mid 1930s. I do have other info on the family and am related through Mannings and Taylors to Drapers I will send you  personal message   Irene

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

That's great - many thanks for replying. I have info on Taylors, Drapers and Mannings to share with you too.

I did try an enquiry to Haringey Archives (who cover the Tottenham area) but got a reply on Friday to say that Old School Yard doesn't appear on any of their historic maps or directory address lists.

So if you can point out its approximate location on a present-day A-Z, you'll be presenting them with a brand new discovery!

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharon, the death Irene is refering to is my gt gt grandfather Walter Brinkley who married Henrietta Haynes aka Esther Loveridge. He died in a caravan at the Old School yard , The Hale, Tottenham in 1905, which is the full address on the death certificate. Their son Walter married Counceletta Scarrott (dau of Theophilus Scarrott and and my enigmatic Rhoda nee Smith) Best wishes Betty

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty
Good to hear from you again - and thanks for the extra info. The Yard is beginning to look like a popular venue for different families.

Best wishes
Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies

Offline jojoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for correcting me on the death year 1905 Betty, it reminded me its possible Emma Kefford may have had the lease on the yard for longer than I thought, family members feel sure the Yard was leased to Emma and not her husband Joseph, certainly after his death in the Yard in 1913 she continued with the lease  for another decade plus.

Irene

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 February 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
hi my friend irene?i didnt realise your nick name on here and at forst thought i had found another relative.any luck on rosies birth cert yet?its amazing how many travellers went through the old school yard.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline jojoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cathay no luck yet but getting lots of support from others for which I am very grateful, its brilliant to be able to share your findings with fellow hunters ups and downs false trails solving one problem only to create yet another everyone is in the same boat everyone knows that feeling and everyone I am sure is making some smashing friends along the way

Irene

Offline Kate_3101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 22 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty
I have just read your comment about Walter Brinkley, he is also my great, great grandfather. Do you have anymore information on him, his family or the Barnett family? I am trying to trace my roots and would love to know more.
Many thanks.
Kate