Author Topic: Old School Yard, Tottenham – Taylor and Draper  (Read 3938 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Yard, Tottenham – Taylor and Draper
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 22 12:01 BST (UK) »
  Hello, Kate...Welcome to Rootschat! Have private messaged Betty, in case her notification was turnedof... so she might look in at your post. This is a very old thread, though, so if she has a new email, may not see it.

Sharon, et al... Haringey Council had this online, so unless a more recent "old school yard" someone there surely must know where this area is located!
" Holy Trinity Parish - Tottenham Green... joint environmental project with the Council to open up the Old School House yard"...Talk of plans to enhance the Old School House and yard for community use.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 22 12:04 BST (UK) »
To Kate, I have sent you a personal message but not sure if you can read them until you have done so many posts. It includes my email address to get in touch with me. Best wishes Betty

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 22 12:10 BST (UK) »
   Hi Betty...That was quick! Yes, Kate will have to post one more time in order to use the private messaging.  ( the scroll icon, Kate....and just post a reply again with an acknowledgement, and you're on your way. Have fun!!!)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 22 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hello JJ

Many thanks for this new reference and for your DM. I will certainly check this out at the Harringey website.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline Kate_3101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 May 22 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I knew it was a long shot as the original message were years ago.
Thank you again. It’s really appreciated.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 May 22 14:22 BST (UK) »
There is another reference online from that council in 2013 that mentions "opening up of the Old School Yard". Of course it could have been any school to which they might be referring, but people don't capitalize ordinary words like that.  ( well, most people, so worth a try) If not, also ask the council if it was a street or lane name at one time, as I found it on an old list of names no longer used, but can't find it again.  This sign appears to be located outside of the hamlet south of 7 sisters Rd...But can't view an old c1900s map to see if it was included in the district back then... http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ris/
 ( also there is a recent pub by that name so it comes up on several pages of results no matter what the keywording  ::)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 May 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Many thanks for this reference. I will see if I can discover the street address of this residential development.

Appreciate your help and your interest in this.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 May 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
Cold & cloudy here so looked for more on the realty sign...Nevermind that development, as another search for the same image brought up the same sign but with the location as Islington. Not sure if a Photoshopping, or the agents are just using that name willy nilly. 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 01:01 BST (UK) »
"A" shows that WW1 Pension form c. 1917 for John Cox /spouse Emily Draper was completed with residence as Old School Yard, The Hale Tottenham, so am thinking the street was "The Hale". (Rather than simply being in Hale) Odd that nobody knows of a school yard that bordered the street. Maybe someone perhaps could find more by investigating permits / licence / leasing records.

I'm NOT a relative...But here's an FHS Tree submitted by a rellie:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/GQBB-3XK