Author Topic: Donaghadee lookups?  (Read 23744 times)

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donaghadee lookups?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 May 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello from Downunder!
I am trying to trace the baptism of ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL born about 1826 in Donaghadee (according to the 1871 Glasgow census).    He was the son of John Campbell and Mary Ann Murphy, and had an elder brother William born about 1824 presumably also in Donaghadee, and a younger sister Jane, also presumable born in Donaghadee although I don't have proof of that.   They were a Methodist/Presbyterian family but could also have been baptised into Church of Ireland.
Is there anyone who could please, please see if they can find Archibald for me?    I have tried all the Irish sites with no luck and would really like to try and find him.    Archibald's father John MAY have been married to an Elizabeth ? first as I have found a record of a William Campbell being born to a John Campbell and Elizabeth ? in Donaghadee in 1824, Church of Ireland.    It just seems to be too much of a co-incidence not to be right, but..........??
Any help at all would be really appreciated
Regards,
Anne

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 May 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
hi David a Kelly, that Pheniy is surely Phenix who are living in Hillsborough area see under Phoenix in  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/P/PhPi.htm.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline aflorimonte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 April 15 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, everyone!

I am hoping someone can help me with a brick wall I've been stuck on for 20 years.  My ancestor John Hunter (b. 1791), married Mary Huston (b. 1789) I believe in Donaghadee around 1810 or 1811, before leaving for the USA.  Is there anyone who can point me toward records for that period, or who would be willing to do a lookup?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!
Arik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Arik,  you are into the period covered by Church records and PRONI. My normal starting point is Ros Davies Co Down website, recently another record has gone online the Tithes   
Apart from surviving census, the main substitute is Griffiths valuation about 1860, then on a much more limited scale the next earlier substitute is The Tithes Applotment records which in Donaghadee were taken in 1834.

Neither exact spelling of those names is to be found there, but there is a
Huston, Robt. Townland: Ballyraer Year: 1834 http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.VTCo0UuDoYU

Now back to Ros Davies website which you may know all about, nevertheless in case you don’t and I defineitely don’t know what she is offering here goes http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies
Map section of the townlands of Donaghadee led me to see the nearest spelling is Ballyrawer, which in turn led me to her Placenames database, which gives
Ballyraer   Donaghadee   .   alternate spelling for Ballyrawer townland in 1659 census    PNNI V2 p 186
Ballyrare   Donaghadee    .    alternate spelling for Ballyrawer townland in 1833
V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 186

So next I looked to see If Robert or his descenfants still lived there in Griffiths time see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
There is lady Mary I Blakiston Houston living in Ballyhaskin 1863
However there are now 3 Hunters living in Donaghadee
Mary Hunter at ballymacruise in Millisle village
William in Donaghadee townparks, and in the High St Donaghadee, either the same person or two fifferent people.
Going back to Ros davies Co Down website for Hunter and then looking down for the parish column  for ‘donaghadee’  starts with
HUNTER   family   Donaghadee   came over from Scotland with Hugh Montgomery in 1603 as tradesmen to help build the port & town   HN
HUNTER   .   Donaghadee   a brewer for Mr Tomb; on a list of suspected rebels during United Irishmen Rebellion of 1798   MOA p256 {If this Hunter is yours, that’s a possible reason to emigrate as the trials and executions are stll going in the first decade of the 1800’s
Theres about 6 more entries and keep an eye on Ballywalter whitechurch Hunters

Switching to Houston or Huston in Ros davies where she files them together under Houston
Miss   Abigal   HUSTON Donaghadee   wife of George Burrowes;mother of Marey & Sera; died 16 Aug 1792 aged 36; buried Donaghadee graveyard   MIs Now that doesn’t turn up as a well known townland in Donaghadee

If the family wrote back after emigration there may be material in http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/
PRONI is too big for me to tackle for you but I use their e-catalogue online often

Other underused sources include family history manuscripts eg at the Linenhall Libarary in the Blackwood Collection are volumes for
HUNTER   2p96N Dunmurry, 16p3?4, 27N {not relevant its near west Belfast}
HUSTON   33, 52 Ballynagross {not relevant its near Downpatrick}
Nevertheless as you been brickwalled to rule out the volumes 16,27,and 33 might be worth clearing
I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com. My information might well be out of date.

Which brings me back to church records Ros Davies is better than PRONI’s online guide to church records as she gives further locations sometimes

Wishing you luck , I am a Belfast exile, and travel is probably beyond me, but I would still love a weeks holiday in the summer in Donaghadee anytime
JimG
worldwide

Offline aflorimonte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 April 15 07:56 BST (UK) »
Wow, Jim, what a wealth of resources!  Thanks so much, there is so much here it will take me months to get through all of your suggestions.  I really appreciate it!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 April 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Anne, have you seen the john Campbell
Campbell, John    Townland: Ballyfrenis Year: 1834
Campbell, John    Townland: Ballyhaskin Year: 1834
Campbell, John    Townland: Ballymacruise Year: 1834
Campbell, John, Jr.    Townland: Ballyhaskin Year: 1834
Campbell, John, Sr.    Townland: Ballyhaskin Year: 1834
listed in http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.VTCo0UuDoYU
worldwide