Author Topic: The Wish Tower,Eastbourne  (Read 14294 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: The Wish Tower,Eastbourne
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Wish Tower Mound was formerly Beacon Hill according to Wards guide to Eastbourne, not dated but guessing 1925-30 Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I found Old Wish Road yesterday near the Wish Tower on the maps that Petmas put up.  I wonder if that was marshland once!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry & Pete

I will phone up Eastbourne Library on Tuesday.

Not thinking straight at the mo,woke up to cough & cold :(

Thank-you for your interest.

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 January 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
There are two Martello towers in Eastbourne, the Wish Tower and the Redoubt.  The Wish Tower is close to the beginning of the chalk cliffs on the west end of the seafront.  The Redoubt is on the east end of the seafront, nearer to the Crumbles.  Beyond the Crumbles you will come to the marshes (Pevensey area).  The ground that the Wish Tower is on was not marshland, although there was marshland nearby,  The following is form the website that kerry mentioned:

Known as 'The Wish Tower', No.73 is easily the most well-known (and documented) of all the south coast Martellos, its name coming from the 'wish', 'wash' or marshland nearby, fed by a stream known as Shomer Dyke. Twiss himself first referred to it as the "Whish Tower" or "Wish Tower" in some of his early progress reports.

A shingle bank separated the wish from the sea. Sited on a natural hill overlooking the surrounding marsh, the Wish Tower has been the subject of many prints and postcards of Eastbourne over the years. A house on the hill was demolished and the hill enlarged with the spoil excavated from the moat.

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 January 09 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Omega,
I'm not sure whether you have these of not, but the following are listed in burials for St Mary's, Eastbourne:

RIDDLE, Alex, 77, South Street.  Buried Dec 18 1833
RIDDLE, Mary, 49, Wish.  Buried May 10 1837

I'm not sure who Mary is, but it is interesting that she is listed as living at "Wish".

There are two books written by George Chambers that give some insight into the derivation of the name "Wish."  The first is
HANDBOOK FOR EAST-BOURNE, PEVENSEY & HERSTMONCEUX CASTLES, "WILMINGTON PRIORY, MICHELHAM PRIORY, BEACHY HEAD, HAILSHAM, AND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD. ALPHABETICAL DIRECTORY OF PRIVATE RESIDENTS AND BOOK OF REFERENCE FOR EVERYBODY.

This is available through Google Books.  The "Wish" is mentioned several times throughout the book but two mentions are worth showing here:

This word is said to be a corruption of "Wash," and to signify a "wet place." If so, it is very appropriate, for there are evident indications that at no very distant period there was an inlet of the sea here. Perhaps it ought to be said that there used to be "evident indications," for these are almost obliterated now in consequence of the equilisation of the levels here, brought about in connection with the Duke of Devonshire's building operations. There was formerly a stagnant rush-grown pool, which the late Mr. D. Gilbert thought might be the remains of a Roman navala, or wet dock, formed artificially by that enterprising people, a natural harbour being wanting. (Suss. Arch. Coll., is.., 156.) "At low water in front of the Wish, large piles are standing, which tradition ascribes for the support of a pier head in former times, to guard the ships which were at anchor in the Wish or harbour." (Sir W. Burrg/l.) The drain now to be seen here is not a sewer, but the inlet to the Baths.

A visitor writing to a local Newspaper in 1861, said:—"I venture to think that this supposition is a mistake, and that the ' Wish ' is probably a corruption of ' Gnichet,' a wicket or passage in the main entrance, and which bears allusion to Guiche, and finally corrupted to ' Wish/ Now, looking around the country, and seeing the number of villages, seats, &c., with Norman-French names, I think there can be no doubt of the origin of the 'Wish' being the Norman-French 'Guichet;' if so its name would harmonise better with the lovely scenery than the 'Wash.'"

The second book is: Eastbourne Memories Of The Victorian Period 1845 To 1901
And Some Other Things Of Interest, Divers. By George F Chambers F.R.A.S.
Published By V. T. Sumfield Station Street Eastbourne. Circa 1910

It is available at
http://www.sussexhistory.co.uk/eastbourne-memories/eastbourne-history.html

and through the Internet Archive (and also at openlibrary.org)

This book gives a description of the "Wish"

I do not know that it is worth while to say much about footpaths and narrow occupation roads now either discarded or swallowed up in modern roads, but from a point just opposite No. 8 The Terrace, the roadway, now a mere back road for the convenience of the houses at the back of Cornfield Terrace, once marked the line of the " Shomer Dyke," a drain draining the South Street houses and having its outlet near the Wish. Eventually the dyke (ditch) was filled in and the narrow road formed which still exists robbed of its Mid-Victorian name of " Shomerdyke Road." Previously to this The Wish was reached by a narrow road starting from South Street and following nearly or quite the line of what is now College Road. Here a branch to the E. led to the sea-shore near the Wish Tower, and a branch to the W. past some farm buildings known as " Hollands Barn " to " Prentice Street " and up to Meads.

There is also an illustration of the Wish Tower in 1840 that will give some idea of the surrounding area
http://www.sussexhistory.co.uk/eastbourne-memories/eastbourne-memories%20-%200031.htm

Regards

Mark

Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 January 09 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Thank-you for all the info,you certainly have been busy.

I have the CDs for St Mary`s burial`s & Baptisum`s.

Alexander & Ann had 3 daughters Jane,Joanna & Rebecca.
There was also a William & Mary Riddle ,their children Jane 1816,John 1824 & William1820.So i assume this is the Mary you found.

I will have to print everything  off so i can digest it & will look for the books.

Thank-you again

Omega (with a thick head & cold)
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 January 09 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Been on the phone to Library,they are as puzzled about The Wish Tower.

Also a reply from the Museum .They kindly sent some info regarding Alexander but not the time period for Jane was born.

Think i will have to be patient & wait until the Museum  in Eastbourne opens in April.
In the mean time will see if his Service Records have survived,have been given some contact addresses.

Omega

Omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 January 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
The Yarkell and Gardener map (1778-1783) does not show a wish tower at this
date. http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/geo/research/historical/webmap/sussexmap/Yeakelllarge39.htm
The location would be south of the word "Bourn" on the coast.

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Rod

What a lovely old Map.It will  also help narrow down search.

Omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle