Author Topic: Wellington ewspapers in 1880s  (Read 6599 times)

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wellington ewspapers in 1880s
« on: Thursday 08 January 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me which local newspapers for the Wellington area existed in the 1880s, and how to access their archives. Thanks
brianthecow
clarke, sutton; shifnal wellington market drayton potteries
lowe, fletcher, bradburn; priorslee lilleshall donnington
horton; wolverhampton
betteley; shropshire and staffordshire

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington ewspapers in 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
When I said ewspapers I meant newspapers of course!  ::)
horton; wolverhampton

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I enquired about this a while ago this what I got told they have at Telford Library

Railway Messenger or Wellington Advertiser - The Wellington Advertiser &Railway Messenger - 1850, 1852 - 1854 - (microfilm) at Telford Library Shropshire News,
Wellington Advertiser & Mineral District Reporter -1855 - 1874 - (microfilm) at Telford Library Wellington Journal - 1854 - 1970 - (microfilm) at Telford Library Wellington Standard & Local Reporter for Shifnal, Oakengates etc - 1888- 1891 - (microfilm) at Telford Library
Wrekin Local Salopian Herald & All Round the Wrekin Advertiser - 1881 -(microfilm) at Telford Library

Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
 The Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News(THIS IS ONE NEWSPAPER) The library on the main s
treet  at  Castle Gates (Pride Hill) holds a lot of archives and has all back copies of this and other  papers. They are very good and will look up and photocopy articles for you if you can give reasonably accurate dates.Viktoria.                                                                                                                                 
     Shropshire Archives                                                                                                                     
      Castle Gates                                                                                                                                     
       Shrewsbury, SY1 2AQ                                                                                                                       
  www.shropshirearchives.co.uk                                                                                                                 archives@shropshire-cc.gov.uk                                                                                                                                                              -           

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Railway Messenger might be useful, because what I'm hoping to find is a record of a railway worker being killed in a railway accident in the 1880s. It's all very vague though and I don't even know the name of the person who was supposedly killed. My g-gran had 2 children by someone who was killed in this accident, and she subsequently married his friend, who I think was called John Smith, and moved to Manchester. Or so the family story goes. My g-gran was Harriet Sutton.
I remember the Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News from my childhood.
Sadly I can't easily get to Telford to get at the archives, so was hoping I could find something online. Oh well, that's another thing to be done when I have more time!
horton; wolverhampton

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I phoned Shropshire archives  today and found their email address has changed- Leave out the cc part and the horizontal line so archives@shropshire.co.uk . Are the children registered in their mother`s maiden name ---was she unmarried when they were born--even so the father may have recognised them as  his and so his name may well be on the birth cert.But it really is worth a try with the archives at S/bury. They looked up and photocopied an account of a murder"manslaughter "up in the very remote part of S/Shropshire in 1914for a relative of mine who lives in the North East-N/Castle and could not go in person. You can only ask. But I agree the Railway Messenger seems a very good bet. Best of luck.Viktoria

Offline brianthecow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't thought of getting my gran's birth certificate. Thanks for that suggestion. If I could find out her father's name I might then be able to get a year for his death.
horton; wolverhampton