Author Topic: Surname 'HOMBURG'  (Read 12736 times)

Offline Peter58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname 'HOMBURG'
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 April 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
I am new to Roots and have only just seen the messages re Homburg posted a year ago. Is 243Rose still looking for information? George David Homburg and wife Harriett were my GG Grandparents, and I have their original marriage certificate, although I too have had problems with the Homburg origins in Prussia
London: Colley, Homburg, Strickland, Wright
Hampshire: Moody, Cannings
North England: Bolton
England/IrelandUSA: Goldsworthy
USA: Tingley

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 April 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
i was doing some research for my Uncle Peter Beverley, George David HOMBURG and Harriett are also his GG Grandparents as well. He is descended from their daughter Harriett Elizabeth HOMBURG who married his grandfather Howard Beverley. i have seen the reference in the National Archives for George HOMBURG'S naturalisation but have not followed it up.. Do you think the name is JEWISH ??
 I would be grateful if you could let me know the info from the marriage certificate that you mention.

Regards
Iain Rose

Offline Peter58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 April 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

I had a great aunt who died last year at the age of 99 and she clearly remembered "Aunt Hetty and Uncle Bev" as she called them. She said they had a daughter who was nick-named "Tubby". After she died we found a very very old photo album with a lot of family pictures from the late 1800s/early 1900s but sadly very few had names against them. There is one which I believe may be Hariet Homburg (George's wife).

The marriage certificate has the following. Married on 25th December 1863 at Trinity Church in the parish of Upper Chelsea. Both their ages were shown as "full" and not the actual age. George is a Cabinet Maker residing in Upper Chelsea, and his father is Philip Homburg also a Cabinet Maker.

Harriet is shown with only one 't' (and so is her signature). She is a spinster, residing in Upper Chelsea, no occupation shown. Her father is William Colley who is an Upholsterer.

The witnesses were W Colley and Emma (Dallas?).

I haven't been able to get any further back than Philip Homburg and haven't been able to find out who George's mother was, but I have seen suggestions on various census records that George had a brother Frederick, another called John, and possibly one called Conrad, although I can't be 100% sure about the brothers.

I've never heard of a jewish line in the family, but I suppose it is possible that the Homburgs were Jewish. It could be the reason they left Schapten and came to England. If my history is right there was a lot of persecution of Jews in Germany/Prussia/Russia in the 19th century.

I hope the above is useful - let me know if you find out anything else or if you have any info which might help me.

Regards,
Peter Colley

Offline Bill Homburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 March 15 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain,
I think you will find that Georg David Homburg was born c1839 at Schachten, Hessen, Prussia. A brother Johann Conrad Friedrich born c1843 also immigrated to England. Another brother Carl Friedrich went to Australia.  They were a family of Cabinet Makers.

Cheers,  Bill

Offline Bill Homburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 April 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter Colley: are still interested in researching the Homburg family name? I may be able to help with your research.  Cheers,  Bill Homburg

Offline Peter58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Yes I'm very interested in anything you might be able to tell me.

You'll have seen pretty much what I know. I'm OK with George David (my GG Grandfather) and his descendants but don't know much about his origins. I know his father was Philip Homburg (from George's marriage certificate) and I thought I'd found possible brothers John and Conrad in the UK (possibly one is the the Johann you mention).

Confusion is around George's origins. The family bible clearly seems to show his birthplace as Schapten, but censuses vary due to handwriting and could be Schaften, Schugten or even Schapen.

Another Homburg I was in contact with a few years back was convinced it was Schapen. He contacted the German Embassy and they suggested Szapten.

I ordered George's naturalisation papers from Kew and they show Schachten, as you've said. Googling all the above names brings up various results and in some cases no results. So plenty of names but nothing concrete.

Any light you can throw on any of this would be appreciated, and maybe I might be able to help you in some way.

Best wishes,
Peter.

Offline Bill Homburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 May 15 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter,
Thanks for responding to my query.

I am new to this game and don't know if private messages are REALLY private and just between us two. If they are, pm your email address and I will send some photos of Schachten taken during 2013.

Regards,  Bill

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

And Yes, PMs REALLY are private.  You can send them to more than one person (just like e-mails) but the contents will only be seen by you and the people you are sending any particular PM to.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Bill Homburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob!   Bill