Author Topic: Hillmans from Dudley  (Read 4335 times)

Offline davygfuchsia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hillmans from Dudley
« on: Friday 09 January 09 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
I am looking for any links from the Dudley area .I have been at this brickwall for a long time and having a new look at it ..
I have Richard Hillman c1764  who married Mary Shaw, b.1764 in Stafford. They married in St Mary's Church. Stafford 1 May 1786 (found in parish records and it says Richard was from Dudley) I have followed this line through to present day, but cannot find anything more of Richard .I did visit Dudley archives without success
Might anyone have any connections or ideas on my way forward ..

Dave
Robinsons ..Yorkshire
Hillman..Stafford

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hillmans from Dudley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 January 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, Dudley covered a wide area including Rowley Regis Staffs.  Could Richard have been baptised as just Hill?  Presumably the name was derived from Hill at some point?  I did find an entry in the Poor Law Records for Old Swinford where by a Joyce Hillman with two sons George born 1767 and a Male Son no name given born 1767 were removed from Old Swinford to Halesowen.  A long shot I know but I thought I would mention it............best wishes from linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline davygfuchsia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 January 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linell,
You certainly are a wizz at this ..I will try and follow this line of thought.
You say both births are 1767 ,were they twins or is that a date error.

Take care

Dave
Robinsons ..Yorkshire
Hillman..Stafford

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, sorry not been on line for a couple of days, yes sorry George was born 1770 not 1767.  Best Wishes from linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say, were there any Joyce's or George's in your family line, what did Richard call his sons?  Best Wishes from linell.

Offline chrishil1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I've just joined this site. Did you have any luck with your search? I think it is Margaret rather than Mary. I didn't get back further than the 1764 date.  I have a large database of Hillman's in Dudley area (and elsewhere).

Offline davygfuchsia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris .
Thanks for your reply .I have continued my research on the Hillman's ..Mostly from the Stafford area with some migrating to Stoke around 1900/1910.and  few to Canada .
I have as yet not got any further back than Richard Hillman c 1764.
So do you have a marriage for a Richard Hillman of Dudley to a Mary or Margaret Shaw ?
I have a marriage as I mention in an earlier post but never found any further details ..Have you researched any of  Richards desendants ?

Dave
Robinsons ..Yorkshire
Hillman..Stafford

Offline chrishil1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 January 11 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Dave
Many thanks for the response.
I don't have very much on the Stafford area. My main interest has been with the Dudley area - but rather like you, I hit a brickwall with being able to find where a Joseph Hillman (d.1803) was born. He married an Elizabeth Allen in 1780 in Hagley,and they are both buried in Dudley but I can't nail down anything prior to that. I've pretty much covered their descendants! I've got loads of part trees of Hillman's from neighbouring parishes and further afield (which is why I picked up some stuff on Stafford). I recently added a certain amount on a descendent who had gone to Illinois. I've scoured Dudley, Worcester and Wolverhampton archives (as well as having spent a lot of time at the Soc of Genealogists in London) but obviously I need to go back over things.

The marriage detail I have is 1 May 1786 in St Mary Stafford - source LDS Familysearch. Margaret Shaw b 13 March 1764 in St Mary, Stafford (parents William Shaw and Ann) - source LDS Familysearch. This is the same source as for the 1765 birth of Richard in Dudley.

As for descendants I've got a certain amount, mostly gleaned from Ancestry. Happy to supply any further details but I suspect you have done a forensic job whilst I have just done an armchair one on this line! 

Chris

Offline davygfuchsia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 January 11 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Morning Chris

Looks likely that Richard is going to keep his secerts a while longer yet ..I have recently retired so am hoping to be able to have a little extra time to pursue the family tree again .. I did go to Dudley archieves a couple of years back but found nothing . I suppose that Dudley as we know it ,is nothing like Dudley as it was back in 1764..Maybe need to research the geograpical areas more to see what area we might truely be looking for ..Have you ever found any possible parents or siblings for Richard .. and what  children did you find for Richard ?

Dave
Robinsons ..Yorkshire
Hillman..Stafford