Author Topic: Rescued Campaign Medals  (Read 11707 times)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rescued Campaign Medals
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi smokey, just wondered if you had any luck tracing the family of the medals?

www.1914-1918.net  would be a good place to try, they have a great forum.
Out of interest which medals are they?, i'm assuming that if there are 3 medals then 2 would be the Victory medal and the British war medal, and maybe the other one is a star medal, the 1914 or 1914-1915 star.
well done your son

jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline smokey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

As luck would have it I had a message from someone this morning saying they had posted a message about these medals on the 1914-1918 site. I will just have to wait and see!!

There are only two medals and I am not sure which they are (my son lives in Portsmouth and I live in Kent).

Many Thanks
Regards
Smokey

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

As luck would have it I had a message from someone this morning saying they had posted a message about these medals on the 1914-1918 site. I will just have to wait and see!!

There are only two medals and I am not sure which they are (my son lives in Portsmouth and I live in Kent).

Many Thanks
Regards
Smokey

Hi Smokey, think it may have been me that posted the message on the war forum, unless someone else has already done the same.
had one message so far that basically confirms what Christine said that regiment number 2032 is your man.
I'm sure that more info will come through as the  day goes on, but if i were you i would check out the forum for yourself www.1914-1918.net, and if you can't find the answears there regarding world war 1 questions then you wont find it anywhere.

Iwil get back to you of course if more info comes along.

jim
(mcfc1923)

Offline smokey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Many Thanks everybody

Regards
Smokey

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 February 05 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi smokey, one of the guys on the war forum is doing a favour,
and should be able to get the medal index card for cordrey, it's a favour for a few on that forum, but it will save you £3.50 to download the card, once he e-mails it me i'll let you know and send it to you, don't imagine it will hold much more info than we already know but you never know, it's a start anyway.

jim

Offline smokey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 February 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Jim

Many Thanks,

I suppose the last result if no relatives are forthcoming will be donating them to the relevant regimental museum?

Regards
Smokey

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 February 05 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smokey, thers still a lot of research that can be done on the soldier even if the family can't be found, although it would involve a trip to london to the pro to try and find his service papers, if they have survived the bombing of the 40's, only about 30% survived, or a researcher who would charge about £10 to try to find them for you.

Ther is of course the option of donating them to the relavant museum, but you have to be aware that they may not be interested unless they are something special, military medal or victoria cross etc, and even those are not guaranteed to be on display, don't want to put a damper on donating to a museum but i'm afraid these are te facts in most cases,but it's certainly worth contacting the museum to get the facts.

to give you an example, i was reading a thread on the war forum (www.1914-1918.net) only a couple of days ago, it's still ther now for you to read, a gentleman(peter wakefield) donated
his grandfathers ww1 military medal plus a trio of medals in early 2000 to fulwood barracks museum, he was told at the time a recipt would be sent to him for the medals but none was forthcoming, a few days ago he was informed that not only has the museum not put them on display but they sold them to a private collector for £400, so if you do donate make sure you get a recipt and don't expect them to be put on display immediately or permenently.

You could of course put them up for auction on ebay or the likes.

As a collector of ww1 medals myself(collector not a dealer) i would be interested in giving them a good home(depending what price you would be asking for them of course) i would do as much researh as i could and if i manage to trace the family would be more than willing to give them back them, they would not be sold on that's for sure, it's only a suggestion of course and in the end you must do what you feel is right, anyway i will send the medal card as soon as it arrives

jim

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 February 05 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Medal card has been sent to me, but having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to post it to this thread,any help would be much appreciated.

Afraid ther is not much info on it, infact it gives the same ammount  of info as my gt uncle's card.
It confirms that he was in the Devenshire reg, and was not transferred to  any other during the war, he was entitled to the Victory and british war medal which means he did serve overseas but not untill 1916, but it does not say which theatre of war, be it France, Turkey etc.

as soon as i get the gist of how to put the card on this thread i'll send it.

jim

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 June 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
When you choose to "reply" and the text box opens you will see just underneath a link for Additional Options ...  This is where you can attach a file.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)