Author Topic: Graves R Us  (Read 13528 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Graves R Us
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 January 09 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Oohh...Harriet....

The certificate says:

Harriet Smith

who died April 13th 1899

aged 35 years

Interred at the New Cemetry, Middlesbrough

No of Grave - 10925a
Jonas Seed & Sons, Undertakers, 5 & 45 Station Street.

No hurry if you want to go somewhere more exciting but next time you are in the area....

Now, if you opt for the Wensleydale patch, I can give you a very long list indeed.

And if you end up in Wilton, say hello to my parents for me. :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 January 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi:  I've got some burials at St Cuthbert, Eston, but really don't know if there is a corresponding gravestone:

Not sure if this is enough information for you.  Not that I've got much more other than ages and where they came from.

Hi Bumblebee,
If you wouldn't mind phoning Redcar & Cleveland cemeteries dept, they'll be able to give you a grave number and whether or not there's a headstone, that would make it much easier for us.  01642 774774
Redcar/Cleveland covers cemeteries at  Boosbeck, Brotton, Eston, Guisborough, Loftus, Redcar,  Saltburn, Skelton, and Churchyards at Kirkleatham, Ormesby and Wilton

Jen,
 I can see her plot on the map, but whether she has a headstone, nk!

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I'd be quite surprised to find a headstone really. They were not exactly wealthy so probably didn't go to such lengths. Her husband ( one of multitude of John Smiths) re-married and I don't know where he was buried. It would be good to know if they ended up together.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 January 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara, I'll call the cemetery people tomorrow and let you know the results.

Cheers
BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 January 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just saw your post.  The grave I am looking for is not in the area you are going - however - perhaps you could provide a clue as to where I would find my great grandmother?

Hannah Lawson previously Fell, born Bowes, died 31st December 1906 (as per her death certificate) at the age of 86 in Ushaw Moor.  There is a memorial to her on the Porteous family memorial in Guisborough cemetery which reads:

"also Hannah Fell (nee Bowes) beloved mother of the above who died 1st January 1907 aged 86 years.  Interred at Old Esh."

No mention of Lawson!

I cannot find her in Esh or anywhere in the Crook, Ushaw Moor area either as Lawson or Fell - do you have any suggestions.

Regards

Ceeoh Margaret

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 January 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Old Esh was also Esh Village, and the church would be St. Michael
http://www.theclarion.co.uk/the_north_east/history/echomemories/durham/104/260304.html

When you say you can't find her, I take it you mean you can't find her burial?  Have you asked the Derwentside district council cemeteries department for a search?
http://www.derwentside.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5422
although I think if in the Churchyard you need to contact the Parish Priest

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara - I've called Redcar and Cleveland.  Afraid there is no headstone at Eston Cemetery for William Archbell,and of course they wouldn't know about the church burials.  So sorry to have bothered you.  My gut feeling is that there is no memorial at either Eston or Wilton - these were miners and their families and probably didn't have money to spend on memorials.  The Eston Cemetery burial is also perhaps in a public grave, no owner recorded and there is another interment in 1880 for a person not known to be connected to the family.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB

It's no bother  :) Sorry we won't be able to help - I have some burials in Eston cemetery with no headstones either. I did look at the transcriptions I have and nothing was listed for Archbell.

Barbara  :)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Would you mind keeping an eye out for my Arthur Cavill?
Ecneps has already kindly checked MIs for Loftus, St Leonard's church, and others have tried to help too:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,98193.0.html

Thanks, and have a great time!
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk