Author Topic: John IBBETSON of The Admiralty and Seamen's Hospital  (Read 2917 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John IBBETSON of The Admiralty and Seamen's Hospital
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information about John IBBETSON who was Secretary to The Royal Hospital for Seamen, Greenwich from 1763 (may be earlier) till his death in 1804, and was also second Secretary to the Admiralty for some years (employed at the Admiralty 1755-1795).

Any ideas as to where I might find info re his personal circumstances, family, where he lived, burial, his will etc. would be great. (Have looked at IGI, The Times archive, 19 Century British newspapers and the National Archives). 

I did find a notice about his death which was "in consequence of violent agitation after an altercation;....... he fell down in a fit of apoplexy from which he never recovered."!

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John IBBETSON of The Admiralty and Seamen's Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith

I know he died in Southend but do you know where he was actually residing in his last years? Have you been able to eliminate this Prerogative Court of Canterbury will?

Will of John Ibbetson of East Teignmouth , Devon
Date 04 July 1804
Catalogue reference PROB 11/1411 

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda
Thanks for your reply.  I had seen that will and perhaps I need to bite the bullet and buy it - the date certainly fits.  John Ibbetson was still in his position as Secretary to the Royal Hospital at Greenwich at the time of his death, although he had resigned from his Admiralty position in 1785.

I can find nothing about him at all which is surprising seeing as he held a high position in the Admiralty (albeit a bureaucratic one as opposed to the Admiralty 'lords' and admirals).  I would have thought some mentions in The Times etc would have been forthcoming.  Thus I have no idea where he was living or anything about his background. I suppose he would have been at Greenwich at least for part of the time as he was still employed there.  I have the impression that the Secreatary position was not full-time as he was able to combine it with his Admiralty post, as was his successor.

The reason I am interested in him is that his successor was my 3g grandfather John DYER who took up the Secretary post at Greenwich immediately after Mr Ibbeston's fit of apoplexy, while also holding a clerk post at The Admiralty, later to become Chief Clerk.  John DYER named his first daughter Elizabeth Ibbetson DYER in 1792 which is the connection to John Ibbeston.

This John DYER is my enormous brick wall.  I have plenty of information about him from his first marriage in 1791 in Portsea, onward.  But I can find nothing aobut his origins.  He must have had some 'patronage' and come from an educated background to have done so well in The Admiralty.  All I have is a snippet written by his daughter ro say he was 'born in Somerset', and from his death date and age that would have been in 1766/7.

I just think I'll have to buy that will as, if it is the right John Ibbetson he may have left something to his protegee.

Thanks for your interest.  I can't think of anything else to try for my John DYER mystery.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Judith,

You may find it useful to ask about Ibbetson in the Nelson and His World forum - http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/index.php

There are a lot of very knowledgeable naval historians in that group.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Chazbaz. 

I'll try that link.  If only my John DYER had joined the actual Navy instead of the desk fleet I might have been able to find out some more.  I have seen the Admiralty minute for his appointment  but it only gives his salary, nothing about where he was previously.  As he was married in 1791 I would assume he had some income prior to his Admiralty appointment in 1793.

Your research sounds interesting.

Cheers, Judith

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, didn't read it properly - I meant John Dyer, of course, though if the Nelson people know Ibbetson's story it might give some clues about Dyer. The group is certainly very well versed in admiralty records etc so I'm sure someone will come up with something to help you.
Look forward to seeing your question on the board.
Charles

PS - a Google book search shows Ibbetson as having been the Commissioner of Longitude, but I expect you have done these searches....
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline KevinTill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 October 22 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi - I don't know if you are still interested in this person.  I've just discovered you post as I was searching for him.  I have a transcript of a detailed letter regarding the circumstances of his death at Southend.  If you would like a copy I can send it to you.  Kevin

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kevin

I'd be very grateful to you if you could send me the account of his death.  If you can transcribe it onto this thread that would be great but if not I could send you my email address, through the Private Message system but I think you have to do three posts before we can use the Private message system.  You would only need to do 2 more posts and they could be as small as one word each!

I am still looking for the origins of my John Dyer.

Cheers, Judith

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 08:53 BST (UK) »
Monumental inscription, Essex, North Shoebury.

Sacred to the memory of Mrs Elizabeth Ibbetson, one of the daughters of John Cleveland Esq, of Tapely, Devon, deceased, and the much loved wife of John Ibberson Esq. Late one of the Secretaries of the Admiralty. She died at Cheltenham 25 October 1796 in the 62nd year of her age and liesburied in a vault under this chancel.

St Mary the Virgin, North Shoebury.
Memorial reference C22