Author Topic: John IBBETSON of The Admiralty and Seamen's Hospital  (Read 2916 times)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John IBBETSON of The Admiralty and Seamen's Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 09:11 BST (UK) »
Another one from Shoebury.

John Ibbetson, late of New St. Spring Gardens died at Southend, 11.9.1804, aged 68, in a vault under this chancel.

Monumental reference C18

Offline KevinTill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 11:53 BST (UK) »
The transcript covers 4 and a bit A4 pages so either land post or email.  It comes from my unpublished study of the Royal Navy's land based services during the French Wars.  Capt Beavor RN was a prolific letter writer to the Lords of the Admiralty and his letters give loads of interesting [to me] details.  I'm happy to post it to you if you are able to give me your address.  I've not used Roots Chat before.  I'll see if it will go on by an attachment.  I've just added contact details.

All the best,   Kevin

Nothing happened with attachment !

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kevin and middlesborough

Kevin, I think if you make another post (doesn't matter what it says)  I can then PM you with my email and/or postal address.  I believe the aim of this rule (of three posts before accessing the Private Message system) is to deter spam.

I don't suppose you came across John Dyer in your research for your book? He was appointed an Admiralty Clerk in 1793 at a salary of 93 pounds pa. By 1804 he was appointed secretary, Royal Hospital Seamen, Greenwich, and later became Chief Clerk to the Admiralty (as did his son John Jones Dyer in 1853).

middlesborough - thank you for those MIs.  Interestingly John Dyer's twin daughter, appears to have both forenames after Mrs Ibbetson as she was baptised Elizabeth Ibbetson DYER in 1792 so Mrs Ibbetson was still alive at the time this child was born.  I'd love to know if there was genuine affection on the part of John DYER for the Ibbetsons - or was it a piece of flattery in order to promote himself.  The other twin was baptised Mary Evans DYER so I wonder who was Evans? (Sounds like Agatha Christie! - I digress).

Interesting information from both of you - once again, thank you.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KevinTill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

This may count as my third post ?

I had meant to add that when I searched for John Ibbetson [ I'd hoped to find a newspaper report of the incident - I didn't] I found an interesting thesis that you may not have seen.

Admiralty Administration, 1783 - 1806  by Patricia Kathleen Crimmin 1965 - Google it

Dyer and Ibbetson are both in it.

You may need to explain how the PM system works     -   Kevin

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Kevin

I'll reply properly tomorrow if that's ok, and have a look at that thesis.  It's a long time since I've had any further leads re my John DYER - bedtime here in Oz!

:)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin

I've sent you a personal message.  You should get an email notification that there is a personal message for you, in the same way that you would (should) have had notifications of new posts on this thread. Then follow the link to personal messages.

Thanks for your interest in this.  I'll have a google hunt for the thesis.

Judith