Author Topic: Samuel Anderson and Isabella Eden  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Samuel Anderson and Isabella Eden
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hallo fellow Rootschatters,
I am looking for the births of Samuel Anderson who says that he was born in Belfast in 1821(ish) and Isabella Eden who says that she was born in 'Antrim' in 1825 (ish).
Isabella says that she was married to Samuel in Belfast on the 5th of May in the year 1840.
I guess it is rather a tall order but perhaps there is information on their marriage certificate?  :-\
We have only recently started searching my partner's family and this is my first foray into Ireland so I am unsure even how I would locate such information and thought that my first stop would be Rootschat.
Is anyone able to assist?  Anderson is rather common but I am thinking that Eden is less so.
My information has come from the birth certificate of one of their children who was born in Australia
Thank you
Kirk
(Half frozen in Germany)
London/Greater London:  Owen, Ford, Plank, Paul and . . . Smith.
Essex:  Robjant, Brown (!)
Yorkshire:  Fallowfield, Snarr, Wood, Dunn, Heron, Bean, Wright
Leics. : Flude, Smalley, Caris,
Northants: Flude
Lincs: Borrass, Hall (Grantham)
Staffs : Owen, Browne
Salop: Carver, Tristram
Suffolk: Barber, Boor
Kent: Reed, Gardiner, Vant, Miles
Wales:
Pembroke : Rees, Llewelyn
Elsewhere:
Ford, Rodrigues

Offline dugganfamilyau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Anderson and Isabella Eden
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 January 09 05:37 GMT (UK) »
samuels father was named samuel he was a gardener. isabella eden will be much harder to trace. have been searching for 20 years without any luck. she is buried at bealiba cemetery, next to her son albert edward anderson and his wife martha nee Stokes. Martha's parents are buried at carngham cemetary unmarked graves, no location as all records were kept at the cemetary and was lost in the bush fires in the early 90's.

albert and martha a large family, 2 of thier sons went to ww1, victor george anderson died and is buried at lemnos island in greece, near coastline of gallipoli.

martha parents came form uk looking for gold. martha maiden name was bonnett (i think, will need to check my records) her father was a soldier have all these details on file if u need them.

albert and marthas son alf married thelma mathews, the mathews go back to st michaels mount and the earliest records i have are around 1700's the mathews married into the dustings line and go back to 1600's

thelmas mother was a davey (her parents are buried in maryborough, near timor) thomas george daveymarried elspit whyte they are from banff scotland,
thomas parents (thomas and armanell) are buried majorca. he came from south australia
if u need any info happy to supply it.
regards
steve

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
In 1843, from http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1843a2d.htm
Anderson, Samuel, Gardener, Botanic Road.
Anderson, Samuel, Flax Dresser, Little George's Street.
it defined Botanic Road as Botanic Road, Victoria Street.
 however unlike other streets it doesn’t have its own detailed listing entry in the directory under the B’s. Mary Lennon might check that out for you. The purpose would be to see if any other Anderson or Eden lived nearby

however looking under Victoria Street is an entry
Botanic Road
   Robert Drummond.
   John P. Hudson, Inspector of Factories.
   Capt. Carrothers, Antrim Militia.
   John Hoy, Merchant.
   John Holden, of John Holden & Co.
the fact that these houses are not numbered suggests it’s a grand place and therefore his address might be as Gardener in one of these great houses?

by 1852 only one Samuel Anderson is listed
Anderson, Samuel, hackler, 30 Boyd Street
 and the Botanics include
Botanic Garden, Malone Road
Botanic Road, Great Victoria Street
Botanic View, Botanic Road

Its tempting to think it might have something to do with the later public Botanic gardens Park of my childhood, running from the Ulster Museum almost to the Lagan

You are before official BMDS were kept in Ireland, so what you need most is a church record, any clue of their denomination on arrival or as described in a passenger list.
I wasn’t lucky finding Eden, but noticed often spelt Eaden in those days
but on http://www.ancestryireland.com/
 is EDEN ISABELLA 1839 WILLIAM Antrim. I think she married 1865, so this could be arelative but also a red herring. using the same site are births
ANDERSON SAMUEL 1819 SAMUEL Antrim
 ANDERSON SAMUEL 1819 SAMUEL Antrim
 ANDERSON SAMUEL 1838 ANDREW Antrim
 ANDERSON SAMUEL 1840 SAMUEL Down
I think these 1819 entries might be worth paying the fees to acquire the full entry
but first have you exhausted familysearch.com

Antrim includes Belfast in many indexs
that’s all I can do, good luck until someone else or your goodself adds info, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Georgfriedrich

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Gosh thanks Jim for that information.  I will look into all this.
Yes I have been going through familysearch but have had no luck there.  I think that SA the gardener could be the one.
Cheers
Kirk
London/Greater London:  Owen, Ford, Plank, Paul and . . . Smith.
Essex:  Robjant, Brown (!)
Yorkshire:  Fallowfield, Snarr, Wood, Dunn, Heron, Bean, Wright
Leics. : Flude, Smalley, Caris,
Northants: Flude
Lincs: Borrass, Hall (Grantham)
Staffs : Owen, Browne
Salop: Carver, Tristram
Suffolk: Barber, Boor
Kent: Reed, Gardiner, Vant, Miles
Wales:
Pembroke : Rees, Llewelyn
Elsewhere: