Author Topic: Albert Edward Tudor born Wales 1875 lived in Niagara City  (Read 7338 times)

Offline abeer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Tudor born Wales 1875 lived in Niagara City
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am Looking for any descendants of Albert Edward Tudor born 1875 in Gresford/ Llay near Wrexham North Wales but lived latterly in a nearby village called Cefn y Bedd (literal translation is back of the grave)
He emigrated to US in 1904 via Ellis Island and moved to Niagara City ward 8 by the 1910 census - living with his wife Ruth (Durie) who was from Banff Scotland. They had 3 daughters that I am aware of one of whom died as a young child (Minnie b 1914) the others were Mary Agnes (1911) and Ruth (1915).
I have the family tracked travelling back and forwards between Canada and Glasgow but never all of them together and have found a US Passport Application form for Ruth (Durie) with her photo on it.
Alberts brother Price Edwin Tudor(1879) also moved to the US but stayed in Ossining New York all his life working as a prison guard in SINGSING Prison ( family lore is that he was an executioner) :o
The family still live in the near vicinity of where the two brothers grew up and would love to hear from Canadian/American descendants of the brothers.
Liverpool - Hulm /Reichardt
Wrexham - Hulmes/ Roberts
Cheshire - Walker /Fellowes
Corwen - Jones / Matthews
Denbigh - Wynne
Denbighshire/ Flintshire Roberts / Francis/ Griffiths

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Tudor born Wales 1875 lived in Niagara City
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi abeer,

My paternal greatgrandmother, Catherine Ellery, née McBeth (1862-1937) was the youngest sibling of Ruth Durie's mother. Ruth's mother Agnes McBeth was the 3rd daughter & child of William cameron McBeth (or McBeath) & his French Canadian wife Mary Jane De Junio (or Jullian or Junilion).

I have recently been researching the Durie siblings, children of Agnes McBeth (at sea en route to India 10/1/1847-Banff 1/1/1921) & Alexander Durie, Hempdresser in Banff (1847-Banff 16/1/1931) who married at Aberdeen 12/4/1867. They were George 1867, Agnes 1869, Alexander 1870 died young, Jane Lennox 1872, Alexander 1874, Charles McBeath 1876, Ruth 1878, Catherine McBeath 1881, Helen Gordon Brechin 1883, Joan 1886 & Elizabeth McCrae 1888.

Info I have gathered is that Ruth b. Banff 25/6/1878 d. Niagra Falls, New York State 30/8/1958.
She emigrated to USA with her sister Elizabeth in 1908. Elizabeth married Frederick Lewis Syre, a railway employee at Niagra Falls 15/9/1909 (Canadian marriages on Ancestry.com). She died in California April 1976, but I can't find her in either the 1920 or 1930 censuses.

Ruth must have married Albert Edward Tudor in or around 1909-1910 in the USA but I can't find their marriage certificate so far. Still looking or if anyone else knows of it I'd be delighted!
As you already know Albert Tudor was an Oiler in Power Plant, b. Gresford, co. Denbigh 1/9/1874, d. Buffalo, New York 29/9/1961. They had 3 daughters:

Mary Agnes Tudor
b. Niagra Falls, New York 7/5/1911, Further info as yet unknown.

Minnie Tudor
b. Niagra Falls, New York 23/9/1913, d. Niagra Falls, New York Feb 1920

Ruth Tudor
b. Niagra Falls, New York 28/2/1915, d. Niagra Falls, New York 8/10/2002. Ruth died with the surname Paul, so must have married someone of this surname!

Like you if anyone knows any further info on Mary Agnes or Ruth, as their mother Ruth Durie Tudor is my grandfather's 1st cousin, that would be great. Like you it was a great bonus to discover their photos on Ancestry!
This is everything I know so far.

Best wishes,

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline abeer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig,
Thank you so much for your reply and the extra info which I have now added to my husbands family tree.  ;D
I am virtually positive I have found some more on Ancestry on the family today following your new info (1871 Scotland census and military records for George Durie) which I have added to my tree in the knowledge they can be deleted if I am wrong.
If you check out my ancestry tree again you will see what I mean!
I have had no further info on Alberts brother Price Tudor except what you see on the tree but having been given an old 78 rpm recording that he made of all the unfortunate indivuals that were executed whilst he was at Singsing - I am certain that he was in fact employed there at the death house for some time between about 1910 - 1920.
Many thanks again,
Regards,
Alison
Denbigh - Wynne

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Can you possibly give me a direct link into your family tree. I can't find it. I'll see if I can add anything further to it.

Many thanks,

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline abeer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig,
I have sent you a PM,
Alison
Denbigh - Wynne

Offline cpaul73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 December 11 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon to you all,

My name is Christopher Robert Paul.  I was recently advised of your postings by my father, Gil.  He is not too familiar with using a computer, but wanted to reach out.  I was quite intrigued in reading the threads that you have all posted. 

My paternal grandmother was Ruth Tudor (Paul).  She was married to Oscar Rober Paul (Born 1910, died 1987).  Ruth was born on 2/28/15 in Niagara Falls, NY and died in this city in 2002.  She did in fact have two elder sisters, Mary Agnes Tudor and Minnie.  I believe that Minnie died of Scarlett Fever at a young age.  My grandmother (Ruth) and Oscar had two sons, one being my father, Gil who was born on (*), and (*), who I believe was born in 1942.  We do not have much contact with my uncle so I am not quite sure.

Ruth's father was Albert Edward Tudor and her mother was Ruth Durie (My great-grandparents).  Both passed long before I was born (1973) but my father does remember them from when he was a small child. 

With regard to the Albert and Price Tudor (my great-great uncle), I believe that they both immigrated to the United States at separate times, with Albert coming first and Price following soon after.  There is conflicting information on whether or not they entered via Canada or directly to the US.  Anyhow, I do know that they both served in the British Military and fought in the Boer War.  I also know that they had additional siblings (William F. Tudor and Mary Tudor (Brooks).  I am assuming that you may be of their descendance. 

Price Tudor was in fact a prison guard at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, NY.  Prior to that, he served as a Special Detective for the Erie Railroad.  As a prison guard he rose to the rank of Captain in a position dubbed "keeper of the death house".  I know that he married one time to Beatrice Garrison (Tudor) but I believe that there was a divorce soon after.  As far as I know, he did not have any children.  Upon his retirement, he returned to Niagara Falls, NY.  Price died on August 27, 1961 at St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston, NY.

With regard to the Durie family, I know the following information:

My paternal great-grandmother- Ruth Durie (Tudor) had four siblings.  Elizabeth Syer of the Hamilton, Ontario Canada area, and Kate, Nell and Alexander Durie of Scotland.  I believe that the Durie family came from Banff, Scotland but it appears that they also lived in Glasgow.  I am a bit lost on those details.   

My father (*) has three sons: (*)  We all still live in the Niagara Falls, NY area.  My father and I would love to find out more and are delighted to find this information posted.  I apologize for being a bit sketchy on some of the details and assure you that I can provide more information upon consulting with my father.  If you wish to reach me via Facebook, I am listed as Christopher Paul  on Grand Island, NY.  My profile will show a picture of my son (*) from the back in a blue baseball uniform w/ the #17.

Best regards,

Christopher Paul

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline abeer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher ,
How lovely to hear from you ! My name is Alison Beer and my husband Philip is the great grandson of William Francis Tudor and therefore your second cousin. His mother Eleanor (b 1933) is the youngest and only surviving child of Frank and is delighted that you have got in touch as contact was lost in the 1960s after the brothers died.
I would love you to see the Ancestry tree I have been building so that you can see where the Tudors came from -  you have family in Wales, Scotland and England and also to see what information and admittedly limited photos I have been able to collect.
My email address is (*)- I can then send you an invite to have a look around the tree and correct any mistakes.
Incientally Price Tudor never disclosed his marriage and subsequent divorce to his family in Wales - that is something I discovered from old newspaper archives during the course of my research.
Looking for ward to hearing from you,
Regards,
Alison

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Denbigh - Wynne