Author Topic: Cardwell to canada?  (Read 4212 times)

Offline lynn35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cardwell to canada?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Mair

I found the ship record in 1868, which mistakenly lists him as coming from Ireland.  The ships from Liverpool often stopped in Dublin so this could easily have been a mistake. 

I'll be at the Family History Library tomorrow in Salt Lake so will pull another copy.  My copy is in my files in Arizona and I can't recall the ship's name from memory. 

The 1881 census transcription was very poor.  Many of my relatives were in Ontario at that time but were never counted/transcribed.

Canada became an independent country in 1869 and from then until 1873 registrations of marriages, births, deaths are sketchy at best.  Even after 1873 often all you can find is the newspaper obituary and cemetery transcription.

May Elizabeth Cardwell Hume is buried in a plot close to the Cardwell plot where Maria Jane and John Cardwell are buried along with two of John and Maria's sons and two grandchildren.

Your assumption about Harry is correct. 

Were you aware of William (1837) immigration to Albany? 

Lynn
England: Atkinson, Cardwell, Grice, Renney
Ireland: Poague, Pogue, Mortimer
Germany: Reiss
Canada: Atkinson, Cardwell, Cockburn, Mortimer, McLean, Pogue, Reids
Scotland: McLean, Cockburn
United States: Reiss, McLean

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 21:20 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census transcription was very poor.  Many of my relatives were in Ontario at that time but were never counted/transcribed.

Have you tried the 1881 census database at Library and Archives Canada?  Here's a link:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1881/index-e.html

Canada became an independent country in 1869 and from then until 1873 registrations of marriages, births, deaths are sketchy at best.  Even after 1873 often all you can find is the newspaper obituary and cemetery transcription.

Actually Canada became an independent country in 1867. As for statutory registration, it is a provincial jurisdiction so the dates of when it started varies from province to province. In Ontario, birth and death registrations began in 1869 however marriage registration started earlier in 1857.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lynn35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
A John Cardwell arrived in New York at 12 Dec 1868 on the ship CUBA. 

The ship left Liverpool and stopped in Dublin so many of the passengers are Irish.

The origination of John Cardwell says Ireland on the ship's record, but given that all were Irish or English it would be easy for the person doing the listing to make a mistake. 

The Microfilm roll is M237_304, list number 1272. 

Given that John's brother William (B: 1837) was living in Albany going into New York would be very logical.  According to the 1860 census William and his wife were living in Albany without any children.   They later had two children born in 1862 and 1864.  One of the daughters has a descendant doing research and I have some information on that line.

England: Atkinson, Cardwell, Grice, Renney
Ireland: Poague, Pogue, Mortimer
Germany: Reiss
Canada: Atkinson, Cardwell, Cockburn, Mortimer, McLean, Pogue, Reids
Scotland: McLean, Cockburn
United States: Reiss, McLean

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 August 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
So lynn

To cement this we could really do with John Cardwell to Ireland from Liverpool?

Mair
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon