Author Topic: Nottingham Records Office  (Read 9571 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Nottingham Records Office
« on: Monday 12 January 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this is a silly questions although can someone tell me where the central records office for Nottinghamshire is based?  I have looked online and no obvious links spring up - unlike other areas such as Leicestershire and Worcestershire.

I am looking to visit at some time in the future as i need to acquire a few copies of various marriage and birth entries - and expensive as that trip may prove it may be less costly than the £7 a time i need to pay for certificates!

Alternatively if anyone is able to help me in that regard i would be happy to reimburse reasonable costs.  I have most of the GRO references or dates and therefore i am hoping it will not prove too long winded!

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Records Office
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Its not possible to look at actual birth or marriage certificates at the Local Register Office you would need to purchase them. There also are several Register Offices in Nottinghamshire and you would need to know which one held the particular registers you want.
It may be possible to find the church record of a marriage but you would need to know which church a marriage took place at and which archive or records office they are at. 

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The link below is to Nottinghamshire Archives and it has an online catalogue

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/libraries/Archives/

Andy

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy

I believe that is the place i am looking for. I realise that they will not have the original certificates although Parish entries should give me most of the information that i require and the GRO references i have, together with Census info should help me to pinpoint a time and place.

I have looked at the online database and found it very confusing (must be getting old!).  What exactly can i ascertain from searching that and how should i go about it?

Thanks in advnace

TB

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi TB

I iust had a quick look at the catalogue and it is a bit confusing. I think the link below will help you see which parish records they have,

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/archivescollections/parishregisterfindingaid.htm

Registration districts can cover quite an area and include dozens of parishes so unless you can narrow down the area it could be difficult to find the correct parish. If they are non conformist then it becomes more difficult as prior to the 1890's they couldn't confuct there own marriages (neither could RC) so they are recorded in the Register office as if they were civil marriages and are not accessable.

The best thing to do would be to list a couple of examples and someone with local knowledge may be able to give better advise.

Andy

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy

A couple of examples of the entries that i would be looking for a copy of include the following:

Marriages:

John Parr Whittley and Mary Elizabeth Fox married 24 October 1881 in St Mary's Nottingham

William Whittley and Lavinia Sarah Parr - Sep Q 1843 Nottingham (living in parish of St Mary in 1851, sub district Park)

Thomas Fox and Mary Ann Martin - 16th July 1854 in Nottingham (living in St Mary in 1861 i think and in Arnold, Basford in 1871 - Thomas has re-married another Mary Ann by then, between then they were in Lowdham Southwell)

Christenings (births):

John Parr Whittley Dec 1845 Nottingham

Mary Elizabeth Fox Dec 1862 in Southwell, Nottinghamshire (Lowdham on census records)

Mary Ann Martin abt 1825 in (Southwell?) Nottingham

Lavinia Sarah Parr abt 1815 in Nottingham

Gertrude Elizabeth Whittley Dec 1883 in Nottingham

Burials:

William Whittley Jun 1874 - Nottingham (living in Parish of St Mary in 1871, sub district St Ann)

Lavinia Sarah Whittley Jun 1879 - Nottingham (living in Parish of St Mary in 1871, sub district St Ann)

Thomas Fox - Mar 1875 - Nottingham (living in Arnold, Basford in 1871)

Mary Ann Fox - Mar 1867 in Southwell, Nottingham

I understand from you that it may not prove to be straightforward and therefore if anyone can help me firm up these details or assist me with copies i would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello…. :)

The marriages will be useful after 1837, prior to that they didn’t give much detail, if you know which church the marriage took place you can print them off for 40p

The baptisms won’t necessarily give much extra detail so after 1837, I think you would be better having the birth certificate.

On the NFHS burial index I didn’t find any of the people you mention, but they do have other cemetery records at Nottingham Archives, for some reason they have changed their website lay out…..I can’t find anything as easily now....but that might be me  ::)

From the Nottinghamshire NFHS index
Marriages - Nottingham St Mary
William Whittley & Lavinia Sarah Parr, 11th July 1843
Thomas Fox & Mary Ann Martin, 16th July 1854

Baptism - Nottingham St Peter
John Parr Whittley, baptised 23rd November 1845 – parents William & Lavinia Sarah Whittley, occupation Warehouse Man, abode Greyfriar Gate.

Baptism - Nottingham St Mark
William Whittley, baptised 20th April 1865 – parents William & Lavinia Sarah Whittley, occupation Warehouse Man.

Baptism - Nottingham St Mary
Lavinia Sarah Parr – baptised 16th June 1815, parents; John & Ann Parr, occupation Publican, abode Parliament St.

Possible marriage?
Nottingham St Mary – 5th April 1814
John Parr & Ann Hallam

Best Wishes
Sheila.

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Sheila

Thank-you very much for your time in looking these up.

That should save me a lot of time in terms of the marriages/baptisms.

Shame about the burials!  They always seem hard to locate!  As for the christenings/births, I suspect that you may be right and that certificates will be more valuable in this regard.

Kind regards

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've checked out lavinia's birth and this creates a problem.

Ann and John do look to be the only parents on the IGI although Lavinia is living with John and Ellen Parr on the 1841 Census together with her assumed sister Eliza Parr. 

Eliza (Jane) Parr also appears on the 1861 Census as Sister in Law, eluding to another sister Selina Stella Parr - which checks out on the IGI as an 1814 birth to John and Ann.  Eliza Jane is also on the IGI born 1821 to John and Ann.  So who is Ellen?  A second wife?  I can find no record of an appropriate marriage so any help is appreciated.

Regards

TB