Author Topic: MacDuff Taylor's father John  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Bryn_taylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacDuff Taylor's father John
« on: Monday 12 January 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on John Taylor, who married Elspet Harry, from Rothes, Moray.  The information I have shows that they had a son John, and a son MacDuff (also called Duff).  MacDuff was born in Mortlach in 1811.  I'm looking for information on where John Taylor (the father) came from. 

MacDuff Taylor was my GGGrandfather, who's son, grandson, great grandson were also called "Duff" Taylor.  Unfortunately, they moved around a bit, and I have them living at different times in Mortlach, Insh, Kincardine, and then to Canada.

I have Elspet's father as being Robert Harry in Rothes, and his father being Robert Harryin rothes, but nothing on the Taylor side other than what I've already mentioned.

I'd sure appreciate any insight.
Taylor, Harry, Oxby, Tait/Tate, Brundige,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MacDuff Taylor's father John
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryn

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can't help with John Snr's parents, however, there are a number of other potential children showing for John and Elspet on IGI at www.familysearch.org:

1. JEAN TAYLER   Christening: 27 FEB 1808 Cabrach, Aberdeen, Scotland
2. ELSPET TAYLOR Christening: 08 NOV 1809 Cabrach, Aberdeen, Scotland
3. HELEN TAYLOR Birth: 21 NOV 1818/ Christening: 22 NOV 1818 Cromdale And Inverallan And Advie, Inverness, Scotland

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryn

In addition to those posted by Monica there are 2 more children on the IGI who could belong to John and Elspet.

MARGARET TAILOR   Ch: 15 APR 1823 Huntly, Aberdeen
JOHN TAYLOR Ch. 20 APR 1821 Huntly, Aberdeen

The spelling of the parents names varies slightly, but that could be due to the person writing them. I had initially discounted them as being too late after the other children, until I looked at the census records for 1841 and 1851. There is a family that could be yours, it is certainly that of the children christened in Huntly as Margaret is in both.

The thing that made me think twice was the presence of grandchildren in both census records with multiple surnames. ( Isabella Stuart listed as granddaughter 13 in 1851)
Old St. Rothes 1841
Taylor John          59
Taylor Elspet       54
Taylor Margt        18
Marshall William     6
Stewart Isabella    5
Mitchell Alexr          2

If John and Margaret are the only children of this couple then where do the grandchildren come from? If we are looking at one big family then Helen, Jean and Elspet could have married and the children could be staying with the grandparents.

...possibly borne out by the existence of

ISABEL STEWART OR TAYLOR
 b.25 JUL 1835
ch.21 FEB 1836      Boharm, Moray

Father:       ALEXR STEWART   
Mother:     JEAN TAYLOR

It's late and I'm tired and I don't know if this will make sense to anyone else. I may be wrong, but if I'm right then John Taylor is from Cabrach according to 1851 census...

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 February 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
If John and Margaret are the only children of this couple then where do the grandchildren come from? If we are looking at one big family then Helen, Jean and Elspet could have married and the children could be staying with the grandparents.
...possibly borne out by the existence of
ISABEL STEWART OR TAYLOR
 b.25 JUL 1835
ch.21 FEB 1836      Boharm, Moray
Father:       ALEXR STEWART   
Mother:     JEAN TAYLOR

The most common explanation for grandchildren living with their grandparents is that they are the illegitimate children of (usually) a daughter who is in domestic service somewhere and has left her child(ren) to be cared for by her parents.

The example above bears this out. The fact that the baptism record gives two surnames is almost invariably an indication that the child is illegitimate.

I think you are on the right track in thinking that John Taylor (Never worry about spellings. I remember a lecture some years ago in which the lecturer listed - was it 53 or 153? - different recorded ways of spelling Taylor.) was born in Cabrach.

Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists the death of a John Taylor, aged 74, in Rothes in 1856. Have a look at the certificate - it should answer all your questions.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryn

William Taylor c 1720 Cabrach married Jean Fettas c1720 Cabrach
Children
William 1742-1782 married Margaret Gordon  -children William 1778, Alexander 1780 and James 1782.

George 8/2/1744 - 1792 Cabrach married Isabel or Janet Kelman - children William 1778, George 1780- 1860, John 1782 who married Elspet Harry or Harrow, Jean 1783 - 1851,Margaret 1787-1863, Isabel 1790-1857 and Helen 1793.

Francis 1749.

George and Elspets children  -
Isabel 1806
Jane 1806 1876 [my line]
Elspet 1809
Macduff 1811
Helen 1818
John 1821
Margaret 1823

Have more info if you are interested
Would like to know more about Macduff

Regards
Ann

Offline anm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 February 09 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryn

Typing error

Not George & Elspets but John & Elspets Children

Ann

Offline Bryn_taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Sorry to have taken so long in getting back to you all.  I've been busy with other matters.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. 

Ann, this is amazing information, and I thank you for it.  I have a lot of information on MacDuff's line if you'd like it, and I'd be very interested in Jane's line as well.

I can give you the link that will show you the entire line if you'd like.

In the meantime, I'll be busy working on this new information you've given me.
Best regards,
Bryn
Taylor, Harry, Oxby, Tait/Tate, Brundige,