Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 82415 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh, poor Anna - you must feel very disappointed - yep - transcripts for me from now on .... I've limited myself to 60 credits only (at this stage  ;)) so when they're gone, that's it!

They should let you buy the tanscript for 10 credits and upgrade to the original for a further 20 credits if you find the right one.  ;D

Gadget, Of course you're right about it being cheaper that buying the wrong cert. It probably grates a bit because we're so used to viewing censuses via subscription and not having to be so careful.

Yes, I've noticed the lookups too. Not sure if people realise that access is open to all (they may think it's subscription rather than credits).

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Another query.  If you don't have any (enough) credits, do you get a message stating "We are sorry but the image is not currently available", or does that mean even if I buy some credits the image is not currently available.  Why would that be if the transcription is there?

Lizzie

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My grandmother, life in India
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
hi all...me too..i have limited myself to 60 credits too... just interested in seeing my ancestors own writing and occupations.

I would use it again if i was desperate to find a particular person but it is expensive.....

Debz
Cutcliffe- Devon
Courtenay Powderham Castle
Barnard -Oxford and Claines
Tollet - Begbroke
Gamble and Clement Calcutta
SHAW-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
WILD-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Another query.  If you don't have any (enough) credits, do you get a message stating "We are sorry but the image is not currently available", or does that mean even if I buy some credits the image is not currently available.  Why would that be if the transcription is there?

Lizzie

for some reason it sounds as if the image is NOT available, because when i've done a search and went to d/l image
if you havn't got sufficient credits it takes you to the buy credits page and prices etc,
maybe best to contact them if thats the only one you want and then find it's not available

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh I have had such a happy morning!!

I'm about £30 worse off (!) but have cleared up a couple of mysteries that I've been looking into for YEARS - it's so lovely to have tied up some loose ends. And also to find some extra children I didn't know existed!

It's strange seeing the actual handwriting of my great great grandparents.  ;D

I thought there was a transcript error on one, as his name was down as 'Tom Doris Waite' so purchased the original. Lo and behold for some bizarre reason that was his name.

I think I need to have some self control and stop for today though.  :D
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
luchtime and so have used it wisely in scrollign throguht he census well i didnt have to scroll found them straight off  :)
my Nan with her parents and 7 siblings one just a baby daughetr at 3 weeks old
and her mothers father who was recently widowed (in 1910) he was with a diferent daughter and her husband (and also another son) but he has filled in the section re how many years married and children which is brilliant
the problem i have is that the addresses are no longer there anymore all seem to be under multi storey carparks / shopping centres or blocks of flats  :(
and francis frith does not have them on their site any ideas re this it would be nice to see a photo or drawing of the dwellings

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline alswilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
hi just  trying to save a few pennies here what info is transcribe please  does it give nimber of children  etc

Offline alswilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Toni what address are you trying to get old pic's off?
alison

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 13:37 GMT (UK) »
It would seem that it's easier to get on the 1911 site than the parent FindMyPast site at the moment. Do you think they've been rejigging the server space  :-\

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***