Author Topic: 1911 Census  (Read 5399 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Guy

Your last post is highly informative. Shocked to see this bit:

The 1920 Census Act as amended (the Act that controls all England & Wales census taken after 1920) blocks all access to census data forever, note forever not just for one hundred years.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast does not have the complete census, there are still some counties to go.

The remaining English counties are to be released by FindMyPast by the summer, along with the Welsh, Manx, Channel Island and merchant ships. Some Yorkshire records are also being conserved prior to digitisation.

There will also be increased search functionality on the site, once the initial surge of interest has died down a bit - for example the use of wildcards

I was referring to the 1901 census which is still incomplete on FindMyPast, the way its going we might have access to all the 1911 before the 1901.

Andy

Sorry Andy, misread it!

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 January 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Just found lots of good answers to some questions on the 1911 census release, which now make it seem a much better deal - I've summarised them on my blog at http://scottishancestry.blogspot.com/2009/01/1911-census-england-and-wales-update.html

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 January 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying a few points Guy.

The information regarding the 1920 Act is intriguing and probably not widely known - it could lead to "interesting" times when it comes to possible future releases of census information.

For those interested, or suffering from insomnia, the FoI (Scotland) Act 2002 can be read here

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 January 09 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Well at least the Scots are true to their word!   Although I was anxious to have the census released early, I am impressed that they are sticking to their guns and carrying out their promise to protect people's private information.  Integrity still exists!
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 January 09 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Well at least the Scots are true to their word!   Although I was anxious to have the census released early, I am impressed that they are sticking to their guns and carrying out their promise to protect people's private information.  Integrity still exists!

The problem is that as far as the 1911 census is concerned there were no promises made - the so called privacy laws came into effect afterwards and were applied retrospectively without any due thought.

First when the 1911 census was taken Sunday/Monday April 2nd/3rd 1911
there was no promise that the census would remain closed for 100 years.

It was not until 1966 and the Lord Chancellor's Instrument No. 12 of
1966 which established the 100-year embargo rule that such records were closed for 100 years.