Author Topic: Brecon-Hall and Watkins Family tree search  (Read 9177 times)

Offline cwmbran666

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brecon-Hall and Watkins Family tree search
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I am starting to piece together bits of my family tree and thought maybe i could get some help as i have never done this before and dont really know where to start.
I have basic history details but i am interested to know what my ancestors occupations were and if they all stayed in Brecon.  My grandmother also talks about my grandfathers' cousin being a huntsmaster? of the Brecon hunt (i think it is the Brecon hunt) and would be interested in finding out more about this or if anyone has any links to sites on any information i would be extremely grateful.  The information i have is very basic and is as follows:

Grandmother-removed
Grandfather-Alan Thomas Watkins, born December 1919-died 1998
Great Grandfather- John Richard Hall, born 1897-died 1960
Great Grandmother-Violet Annie Thomas-died 1963

My Grandparents i think were born in Brecon, and my great grandparents children on my grandmothers' side were:

Moderator comment: details of living people removed to protect their privacy and prevent identity theft.

I am aware that this is not much information but this is all i have. Thankyou for taking the time to read this :)

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brecon-Hall and Watkins Family tree search
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 16:13 GMT (UK) »
To confirm any BMD this site can prove useful.  such as :

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/  Althou' at the mo only transcribed up to possibly 1920 - 30ish

Births Dec 1919  Watkins  Alan T  (mothers maiden name - Tantram)  Brecknock  11b 125

Marriages Mar 1922 
HALL  John R  married Thomas  Brecknock  11b 98     
THOMAS  Violet A  married Hall  Brecknock  11b 98

Certificates to provided further info of fathers name, age, address, occs etc, can be ordered from the General Register office cost is £7.00 a cert.  It can then take you back a generation and prove you are one the correct line.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Census info is also invaluable so ask for a look up on those born before 1901.  The 1911 census is avaliable on findmypast, but at the mo can prove expensive.

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

Hope this helps some

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,

There was a person known as "Sledger" Watkins involved with the Brecon Hunt in the 60's.  No-one can remember his first name.  ::)
He wasn't one of the masters but the huntsman, that is, he was in control of the hounds, seeing to their needs, exercise, housing, feeding  etc. as well as controlling them on hunt days.
He left Brecon and joined a hunt somewhere in the south of England possibly Somerset. On retiring he returned to live in Brecon.
Sorry it isn't much at this moment should I find out more I will post.

Regards
Chris
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline cwmbran666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 09 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi.Thanks for the welcome Fisherman.
I honestly didnt think that anything would be found about my family and i am very very grateful for the bits of info that have been posted.  My grandmother is not interested at all in family and gives little information on past history and for me i think it is important to know a bit about your ancestors and background.  I am slowly starting to piece little bits together and its fascinating how you get so much information from a  couple of surnames and birthplaces!
I think this will be a long process as its just me doing this on my own but as i said before-i am very grateful and amazed at the work you put in to help people that you dont even know-thankyou  :)

Cas thank also for pointing me in the right direction and giving me hints on where to look.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 09 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have found an Annie Violet Thomas on 1901 who I think is a strong contender for your G/Grandmother, living with her widowed grandmother.

RG13/5168/72/7
10 Mill Street, Brecon

Ann Thomas, H, Wid, 58, Charwoman
David Williams, Brother, S, 48, Mason
Nora Thomas, Grandughter, 8
Annie V Thomas, Grandaughter,1

All born Brecon

What do you think

Chris

Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline cwmbran666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
Yes this would be the same person as i have checked with my grandmother.  Her mother was sent to live with her grandmother as her mother wasnt married so this explains why her mother wasnt around.
Thanks for the info.

Branwen

Offline Nell35

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 09 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
My granfather was George Watkins and worked at brecon hunt. He has a brother and sister who still live in brecon. His nick name was sledger. If i can help you any further please let me know. I see my uncle Roger every week so if you have any question i can ask him.

Hope this has been of some use.
Charlane

Offline youmustbejoking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I dont know if it helps but my granfather was George Daniel Vernon Watkins , He was from Brecon and was (not sure if it was hunt master but) a hunts man most of his life.
Ive never heard of a Alan Watkins but i have relatives who would know.
I can chat more when i get more info from relatives   

Offline youmustbejoking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just notice my cousin Charlane has also put something on , and from her comments then our Granfather was definately a cousin of your fathers.
His mother was Also call Annie  and i have pictures of her and my Granfathers  Father too.
My granparents also lived in mill street as well as their children Pat Barrie Yvonne(Georgina my mother) Linda Judith and Barbara.
My Grandads siblings were Albert , Leslie , Tommy , Lillie , Brenda , Muriel and Roger. I have a photo of them all
I will ask my mum tomorrow if she can help with more info