Author Topic: Baldock Family  (Read 12944 times)

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baldock Family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Many thanks for that - it does seem to tie in very closely and would make Thomas about 67 when he died. The Town Row bit is very relevant as that area didn't have that many houses at the time!

Is it a members only section of the website? Is it worth joining do you think?

Regards
Mike

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Yes it is a members only area and there is a small subscription to join. When you do there is a search area for parish baptism and burial records. I have found it very useful so far. If there is anyone you want me to look for let me know.

Alan

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
My line continues with their son William who also married a Mayfield woman, Agnes Holmes and settled there having 4 children. They were living at Huggetts Furnace Farm at one point.

Their son William married Ann Noakes and they settled in Rye where most future generations lived.
I'm a bit confused with this line - I have the William son of William Baldock / Agnes Holmes as marrying a Mary Roalfe in Canterbury 1802...

London Gazette index entry detail
Publication details
Publication date: 27 Mar 1891.

Issue: 26147.

Page: 1803.

Place
Mayfield.

Person details
Name: Agnes Holmes.

Marital Status: Not given.

Address: Huggett's Furnace, Mayfield.

Notes:
BALDOCK—LOUCH. WHEREAS by an Order of the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice, made in an action re Baldock, Boyton v. Roalfe, 1890, B. , No. 2098, the following enquiries were directed:— 1. Who were the next-of-kin according to the Statutes for the Distribution of Intestates' Estates of Frances Ann Baldock, living at the time of her death. 2. Who were the coheirs in gavelkind of the said Frances Ann Baldock, living at the time of her death. Any persons claiming to be such next-of-kin or coheirs in gavelkind are, by their Solicitor, on or before the 30th day of April, 1891, to come in and prove their claim at the chambers of the Honourable Mr. Justice Kekewich, at the Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, Middlesex, or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order. Frances Ann Baldock, in the said Order mentioned, was a granddaughter of William Baldock, formerly of Huggett's Furnace, in the parish of Mayfield, in the county of Sussex, who died in the month of September, 1779. The said William Baldock was, it is believed, only once married, namely to Agnes Holmes, and there was issue of such marriage, four children, and no more, namely (1) a daughter, Fanny Baldock, (2) a son, William Baldock, (3) a son, Edward Holmes Baldock, and (4) a son, Thomas Baldock. The said Fanny Baldock was married at the parish church of Mayfield aforesaid, on the 1st of October, 1793, to Thomas Louch. Children of the said Fanny Baldock and Thomas Louch, and of the said Thomas Baldock, if living on the 24th of March, 1890, the date of the death of the said Frances Ann Baldock, would be (with others) her next-of-kin and the descendants of the said Thomas Baldock would be coheirs in gavelkind. Thursday, the 7th clay of May, 1891, of twelve, o'clock at noon, at the said chambers, is appointed for hearing and adjudicating upon the claims. — Dated the 25th day of March, 1891.

Batch: GAZ_London-Gazette-01.csv.

Transcribed by:
Michael Metcalfe.

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 October 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
The point here being that Frances Ann Baldock was also born to William and Mary Roalfe in 1814, as was the sister Mary Elizabeth.

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Evie,

Hope you're still checking the posts.

Have just found out from the Lewes records office that Thomas and Elizabeth Loofe had the following further children:-

Susanna 1703
Richard 1706
John 1707
William 1710
Edward 1713
Benjamin 1720
Henry 1725

John married Ann Swatlen (Swatham) in Wadhurst 1728 and I believe had 2 sons, John 1729 and Thomas 1731 who could possibly be the one that married Sarah Mabb.

Fot info I believe the sibbling marriages were as follows:-

Susanna may have married John Tolhurst in Wadhurst 1732 or John Collins in Wadhurst 1736
William married Elizabeth Watson in Fleet Prison 1734
Benjamin married Mary Collins in Wadhurst 1746
Edward married Deborah Hosmer in Wadhurst 1751
(There is another marriage for Edward to Jane Whatman in Wadhurst 1731 but believe this is another Edward)
Henry married Emma Peavy in Wadhurst 1755

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 August 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Thank you very much for the information, it is very kind of you. 

I agree it does look a good possibility that this could be the Thomas that married Sarah Mabb.

Thank again Alan

evie

Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Evie,

Done some more digging on John and Ann Swatlen (Swatland) and there seems to be another John born 1695 in Wadhurst, son of William Baldock and Ann Bowyer who is more likely to be the correct one as I beliee Ann was born C1695. It does however seem to be widely agreed that John and Ann were the parents of the Thomas that married Sarah Mabb.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Offline barnesyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 April 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest - from another thread on the family -

Hi, the parents of Thomas Baldock who married Ann Fry (Frie) were John Baldock and Mary Byne. Thomas was baptised in Herstmonceux in 1696, his sister Mary was also baptised there in 1698. John Baldock was buried in Wadhurst in 1730, in his will he mentions his wife Mary and 2 children Thomas and Mary. John leaves an annuity of £4 to his daughter Mary for life to be paid out of proceeds from his lands in Wadhurst. Thomas Baldock (1696-1772) in his 1773 will mentions the £4 annuity to his sister Mary Carrick left to her by their late father. Mary Baldock married first John Cooper then secondly Nicholas Carrick.
Mike
Ball(s) Barnes Bekker Bennett Buchanan Campher deKlerk deVilliers Dickenson Dunkley Edwards  Greenlees Helps Jones King Knoesen Marais McPherson Neat Nel Oosthuizen Peart Richter Scott Smit Smith Turner van-Rensburg Wallworth Webber Wells Worroll

Offline Kayehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested I have several Baldocks in Pluckley and Little Chart around the 1560s-1680s.
Richard, Nicholas,Robert and Anthony seven in total. Yeoman family with Charing conections.
Kaye