Author Topic: Westmeath Parish registers -Gilbert Begent 1847  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westmeath Parish registers -Gilbert Begent 1847
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi New to this site - can anyone help me trace my GGrandfather Gilbert Begent and if possible an address in Ireland - I am coming over this summer and would love to visit the area.
His parents were James and Rachel Lawrence Begent from London.
Many thanks in advance

Offline brian begent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Westmeath Parish registers -Gilbert Begent 1847
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
HI, GILBERT BEGENT WAS MY GREAT GRANDFATHERS BROTHER. WOULD YOU CONTACT ME?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Brian. Hopefully Felin will soon see your message and reply to this thread. Once you've made at least 3 posts you can both ise PM (personal message) system to exchange email addresses or family details.

To   find church records (if they exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian - Thanks for getting in touch - when you are able please send me a personal message via this site and we can exchange emails and discuss the family further.  I am interested in tracing James Begent's Father and Mother- See Begent website for my latest quess at who they might be. Anything on his time in Ireland (Westmeath) would be of great interest.
Felin

Offline brian begent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
THANK-YOU FOR GETTING IN TOUCH SO QUICKLY. MY GREAT GRANDFATHER ARTHUR WAS NEVER FORTHCOMING ABOUT HIS BROTHERS TO ME. (SEE ON BEGENT WEBSITE MY COMMENTS AND PHOTOS OF MY BEGENT FAMILY) MY GGRANDPA WAS A VERY CLEVER MAN. HE WAS TRAVELLING COMPANIAN TO LADY PILKINGTON OF PILKINGTON GLASS, ST HELENS AND THERE AS A PHOTO SOMEWHERE OF HIM WITH THE FAMILY DAIMLER STRAIGHT 8 LIMO AND HER. HE WAS A SHIPWRIGHT FOR CAMMEL LAIRD. MILLWRIGHT FOR ICI PLASTICS AND A WATCHMAKER. ALSO MAYOR AND CHIEF ENGINEER IN MERCHANT MARINE. AS WAS HIS SON ALBERT WHO WAS TORPEDOED THREE TIMES AND DIED AT 37.( PHOTO OF HIM ON BEGENT SITE) MY GGRANDPA WAS TALL AS HIS BROTHERS ONE WHO WAS FROMHERTS AND GENERAL MANAGER OF ENGLISH ELECTRIC AND A GOLFER. ALL TYPICAL HEUGONETS, SKILLED PERSECUTED PEOPLE FORCED OUT OF FRANCE BY CATHOLICS AND SETTLED HERE. MY MOTHER WAS CELIA DORIS BEGENT. REGARDS BRIAN

(*) Moderator Comment: telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

See posting guildeline about how to post replies (replies all in capital letters is considered shouting):
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian
I wrote a long reply to you - pressed the wrong button and everything disappeared - when you have posted one more posting - you can then send private messages to each other in which you can send more information as it is not shown on the web site and prevents all this spamming. so I will wait and then send you a private message with family info.
Felin

Offline brian begent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 April 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
I did just that yesterday Felin! Hope you are more succesful again. my no is: (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 May 22 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have recently be shown entries in a bible owned by James Begent whose youngest Son was reputedly born in Westmeath Ireland.
The entry state Gilbert Begent Son born November 29th 1846 - born in hogerty parish, County Westmeath Ireland.
Gilbert was back in London by the next census and it maybe that his Father was connected with the building of the main railways in Ireland
The spelling of hogerty may well be confused due to the hand writing, but does anyone know of such a parish.
Felin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 22 23:17 BST (UK) »
There are three types of parishes in Ireland, Church of Ireland, Civil and Roman Catholic and none look promising. Did you take a photo or scan of the Bible, perhaps if we could see the name we might have a better chance.