Author Topic: Westmeath Parish registers -Gilbert Begent 1847  (Read 6111 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westmeath Parish registers -Gilbert Begent 1847
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 22 23:48 BST (UK) »
I see he died in 1925.  Does his death certificate show a place of birth or his marriage certificate?  or is it just Co Westmeath? 

I see (from the 1851 census) the father's occupation is that of Coachman.  Did he perhaps work for an Anglo-Irish family who moved periodically between England and Ireland? perhaps the Hagerty is the name of the family or the name of the property? 

I think a scan of the page in the Bible may give us a clue tho' it may be a rendition of an Irish accent!

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 May 22 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply I attach a copy of the page relating to Gilbert Begent (bottom paragraph) - I hope this helps - he was Church of England throughout his life.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 May 22 13:40 BST (UK) »
Mmmm... You would need to study the page to compare letters.
This is the list of COI parish registers, they will be coming online at some point, work is ongoing but for now if you use your computers Find on Page and put in Westmeath you can look at the name of each parish and compare.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Using the second search box on this site you can view the names all the Civil Parishes.
https://thecore.com/seanruad/
COI Parishes and Civil Parishes tend to have the same names.
Counties surrounding Westmeath may be worth a look as well.

Offline Felin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 May 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I can find the family name Hagerty/ Hagerty from Westmeath Ireland around the time of my great Grandfather’s birth , but no Parish of that name appears to exist. It may be possible that Gilbert Begent was born to a Hagerty, who worked in London and the Begent family adopted the child and gave it the Begent surname.
Felin