Author Topic: Mayor of Derby Completed thanks  (Read 5363 times)

Offline meggylux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mayor of Derby Completed thanks
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is a longshot, but is anyone able to lookup the mayor of Derby in the years 1913, 1921 and 1933.

It is a very strange request, but a journal of a great uncle has an entry alluding to a cousin being married to the Mayor of Derby who had dinner with King George V and Queen Mary. Having googled I can place the King and Queen in Derby in 1913/21/33. I am wondering if I can gain info re that cousin by finding the Mayor.

Having awaited eagerly for 1911 census in the hope it would shed any light on my G.Grandfather, however, as I should have guessed, there was nothing to help. So I have resorted to checking every bit of information I have for any scrap of evidence of possible relations to him other than his children.

Thank you if you can help... I checked wiki but no names for thoese years.

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mayor of Derby 1913/21/33
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

What's the name of the potential mayor!?  ;D

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks as though the following were mayors of Derby in the years you want:

George P Sullivan 1913-1920
James B Atwater 1921-22
William J Riordan 1929-1934

That's from a list I found in a Derby History Quiz.

Hope that helps your search,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Erm - I just had a look at those and I think they refer to Derby in Connecticut USA

from this site http://www.electronicvalley.org/derby/

:-\

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline meggylux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.

Debbie Thanks for the info re American mayors, I probably would have blown a gasket on FreeBMD. I saw that site when I googled, but did not open it, so I would not have twigged.

Thanks redshank sadly I am looking for the Mayor of Derby UK

Sem17, if I knew the possible name I would not have had to post. I am trying to find the mayor to try and find the wife in the hope that I can link to my family and maybe find a sibling to my G.Grandfather, of course the risk is it could be a relation of his second wife.

Having exhausted census returns up to and including 1911, Ancestry FreeBMD, so much help from people on these help boards and with finding three cousins that I hadn't known of this time last year... none of us can find any information re the forefathers of my G Grandfather other than the name of his father, where he was born (overseas) and his fathers occupation. I am trying to use a sardine to catch a whale, but it's worth a try.

Mandy

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, I'm very sorry  :-[

That'll teach me to be more careful with google - it never occurred to me it wasn't 'our' Derby.

Anyway, I hope you catch your whale.

John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
As an attempt to make up for my error, how about Alderman W R Raynes (1870-1966) who became Derby's first Labour mayor in 1921?

John

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
1913 - I think it was Alderman Wilkins, from an article in 'The Times' on 21st March 1913.

John

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
To complete the set:

1933 - Mr A.E. Moult, again from 'The Times' 6th July 1933.

John