Author Topic: Burke Family from Cork  (Read 22363 times)

Offline jolijai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burke Family from Cork
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 December 11 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aliwo,
would love to know more about the relationship between your grandmother and our Burkes. I have tried to send you a message but says PM limit - don't know what that means. Perhaps you might send me a message, see if that works. Apologies for very late response. Haven't been on here forever...

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 December 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aliwo,
would love to know more about the relationship between your grandmother and our Burkes. I have tried to send you a message but says PM limit - don't know what that means. Perhaps you might send me a message, see if that works. Apologies for very late response. Haven't been on here forever...

Burke110 has only made 1 post so far which is why you are getting that message- once they've made one or two more posts they'll be able to send and get PMs.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline burke110

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 December 11 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello my name is Mike you can send me an email to (*) .

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 December 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael, did you find your ancestors?  In the online church records, it looks like they are listed under the Drimoleague R.C. parish and the name you could be looking for is Calnane or Callinane. 

Do definitely try the Dunmanway Historical Society and/or the parish priest, Father Ted Collins in Dunmanway.  I think that parish is about the only one in the area that has records that go back farther than stated online. 

Hi I am a Burke as well. My name is Michael Burke I'm trying to find information about my great-great-great-grandfather Timothy Burke born January 1810 did May 5, 1903. He married Catherine Hurley around 1830 and had five children with her, their second son being my great-great-grandfather. From his obituary and other records that we have he came from County Cork, his obituary also states tha he was born in Dunmanway. His children where baptised in Drinagh Parish.  I would like to find his parents, I know that his mother's last name was McCannon or Cannon and we think his father's name was John Burke but we don't know for sure. We do know that he had a brother named John Burke who went to New Brunswick and then to Boston (my family also took a similar route), Timothy eventually came to the U.S. dying in Oswego, New York. We like to think that his family kept with the Irish naming system but if that's true then his father's name was possibly Timothy not John because his eldest son was named Timothy, my great-great-grandfather being named John. We also know that Timothy worked as an Iron Worker/Laborer. Also my Burke family is Roman Catholic. I would like if someone could help me find more information about Timothy and his parents. I also have my families coat of arms, which I'm attaching which we've had probably since we came to America because my grandfather had it and so it probably came over with my great-great-grandfather or great-great-great-grandfather. Thanks
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline bh22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 December 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
OlwenLong, do you have any information on the parents of George Edward Hyde-Cates? He's my 2nd Great grandfather... his ancestry has proven difficult to research...

thanks,
Bruce H.

Richard Burke married Norah Mary Hyde Cates daughter of George Edward Hyde Cates and Rose Frances Carew.  If you want any more info on her let me know. 

Offline OlwenLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 December 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I do.  First the surname is Cates, GEH was chr'd with Hyde as a middle name which may be why you are having difficulties.  His parents were Wm Edw Cates, surgeon in the Army (India) and Georgina Maria Johnstone marrd Feb1856 in Swanscombe, Kent.  WE was my gr-grandmother's brother.  Olwen

Offline bh22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 00:15 GMT (UK) »
thanks Olwen! By way of substantiation, are you able to point to any birth or census records that prove an association between William and George Edward?

this is very helpful, I appreciate it.

Bruce

Offline OlwenLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Bruce, I sent you 2 replies but had difficulty posting them - did they get through?  If not let me know and I'll repeat them.
Olwen

Offline bh22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Olwen,
I didn't see any postings from you. Can you post something again, or paste in a url or citation if you have something of that sort?

thanks,

Bruce