Author Topic: British Citizens in Singapore 1900's  (Read 5153 times)

Offline LauraC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: British Citizens in Singapore 1900's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear ShaunJ and aghadowey

That is brilliant! I'm not used to finding out so much information so quickly!

The reason I am looking into these people is that I am researching the history of my house in Ipswich, Suffolk and all the people who have lived in it. The house was built in the 1850’s and I have managed to find out the names of  many of the people who have lived there from when it was built until we moved into it in 1982. At first I just wanted to find the names of the people who lived there but I have become intrigued by who they were and what they were doing and so have been looking into where they came from and where they went to after they had lived in the house. I have found a huge variety of people with many different stories.

I started this research in 2004 and had found Mrs Wathen listed on the electoral roll as living there from 1911 to 1919. Not knowing anything about her (date of birth, first name etc.) I had not been able to find out anymore about her! Yesterday I guessed that her name was Maud by looking at the free part of the 1911 census and all of a sudden I have a whole lot of information about her! She is just 1 of a number of widows and spinsters who had lived in the house, it seems to have attracted them!

Do either of you have any connection with the family tree you both referenced?

Aghadowey – I would love to her more about her travels in the 1920’s and 30’s, - I’ll send you a message.

Thanks again for all your help, this is brilliant

L
Burlington Road, Ipswich Suffolk UK. Churcher, Newham, Maybery, Grieve, Parkes, Ludgate, Brooks, Greenfield

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
No connection Laura but you can contact the owner of that website - contact details are on this page

http://www-leeper.ch.cam.ac.uk/LeeperStirling.htm

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LauraC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun, have made contact and have a lead to follow

L
Burlington Road, Ipswich Suffolk UK. Churcher, Newham, Maybery, Grieve, Parkes, Ludgate, Brooks, Greenfield

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Laura,

If you are still interested in the Wathens there are lots of references to be found now in the NLB newspaper database including this Straits Times obit of CT Wathen http://www.rootschat.com/links/07wh/

Just searching the database for "C T Wathen" and "Superintendent Wathen" ... or just "Wathen" http://newspapers.nl.sg/Default.aspx
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk