Author Topic: Translation needed!  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Translation needed!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Glasllwch Lane starts at the top of a hill near Ridgeway in Newport and I have not known of any lake or large amounts of water there although probably if there was it may have been multiple decades ago. It is an area of affluent people.
However I remember very well a brook or stream that used to flow into the river Ebbw at the bottom of the Gaer Fort near Western Ave which disappeared when they built the M4 motorway on top of it in the 1960’s.
We used to toboggan from the top of the Gaer Fort in winter when it snowed and I still have vivid memories of someone I knew failing to stop at the bottom and crashing into a tree stump in the middle of the brook and losing most of his teeth!
This brook would certainly have come past Glasllwch Lane
Also disappeared when the motorway was built were the houses that were bombed in WW2 at Glasllwch Crescent where quite a number of people lost their lives.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline sior

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
On 19th century maps of the area there are Coed y Glas-llwch what appears to be a farm called Glas -llwch and Glas -Llwch House,I don't know if any of these exist today.As most woods standing at that time were pretty ancient it's probable the name is too. The brook you mention was Nant Coch,which could start another argument as elsewhere it would be Nant Goch.

Offline stel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thats really interesting re glasllwch farm  as there was an old farm at the top of the lane where we collected our milk..Nant coch was further down the  hill and known in english as the  Redbrook its all changed so much now  with the m4 charging  through...Cheers   stel

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
The Red Brook?  ::)
                                  Pinot

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
                                  Pinot

Yey, it means it wasn't black and white etc!
The Nant Coch area is interesting though as from an old map, Nant Coch was at the top end of Glasllwch Lane and is on the opposite side of the Risca Road and now part of the Ridgeway area and then continued down to the Bassaleg area.
To my surprise the brook named Nant Coch seems to have originated towards the Fields Park area following a route past the cemetery and Melbourne Way and not where I thought it started in the High Cross area.
I also  seem to remember which I may be wrong about at the junction of Glasllwch Lane and the Risca Road there was a bus timing point with a machine that the clippies used to have punch a card in or something.

Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 February 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
                                  Pinot

Nant Coch was at the top end of Glasllwch Lane

Just wondering how long it will be before these old names exist only on the old maps and Rootschat pages.
                                  Pinot       :)

Offline stel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 February 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes there was a bus clocking in machine..the western welsh and ralph buses used it..things ran on time then! Do you recall the old brickworks  along the canal? Stel

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes I remember that although I never visited it. Saw it mostly from the motorway after that was built but it was derelict then.
Went to the Alt-yr-yn Lido a number of times down the Black Ash path, must make a point of walking that route again sometime.

Offline stel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I fell in the deep end of the Lido fully clad as a  girl and  was rescued by  a bus driver who for years afterwards would  blow his horn if he saw me in town..I  was very embarrased!  I never liked the water after that!  Cheers.