Author Topic: Looking for Margaret Davies' family  (Read 3758 times)

Offline bandrui

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Margaret Davies' family
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 06:49 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the family of my Great Great Grandmother Margaret Davies born 1840 Welshpool, MGY.  (Note: I got this far by finding out that she married Richard Grove(s) in Worcester in 1860 and is listed in the 1881 Census for England where she gave her birthplace as Welshpool and her age as 40. I found their marriage in the GRO index and her maiden name Davies.)

1841 and/or 1851 Census data would be really helpful.

Your help with this would be very much appreciated.

Linda Frost

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Davies' family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I think you really need the marriage cert to discover who her father is - as you know Davies in Wales is very difficult to research without documentation.
There is the complication of it being spellt "Davies" or "Davis"

Added to that complication is the fact that although margarett consistently gives her p.o.b. as Welshpool her age varies a little from census to census
1861 age 43, 1871 age42, 1881 age 41, 1901 age 61

also her name on the early census is spellt margarett

I cannot find a margarett b Welshpool of the correct age in 1841/51 -or maybe she was in England by then??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bandrui

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 09 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I have more info now. The correct spelling of her name is Margaret Davis. She was born in Welshpool 1840 (could possibly be 1839). Her father was John Davis, a cordwainer. John was born in Worcester so think he may have been one of the Welsh stoneworkers who came to work in Worcester but obviously went back to Wales since

I would like to know he birthday and who her mother, siblings were. And, of course anything else you can find out would be much appreciated.

Linda

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 May 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
A little puzzled as to why you think father John Davis may have been a stoneworker when his occupation is given as cordwainer????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
Added to that complication is the fact that although margarett consistently gives her p.o.b. as Welshpool her age varies a little from census to census
1861 age 43, 1871 age42, 1881 age 41, 1901 age 61

If the age fluctuates in the census it is worth looking for a death or burial record as the age is usually correct on those. You should also find the age of death in the death index.

From the Welshpool PRs:

Margaret Davies, illegitimate d. of David Davies, shoemaker, of Welsh Town & Mary Owen, bpt. 21 Feb 1841
Margaret Davies, d. of Thomas, shoemaker & Marianne, bpt. 12 June 1842

Remember that there are other chapels and what not though.