Author Topic: Mauchan/Machan  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
Re: Mauchan/Machan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 August 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also searching for Clark's info.. however, I am trying to tie in from William Machan (Mauchan) who was married to Agnes Petrie. Agnes Petrie was my 3rd great grand aunt.
Others on Ancestry have put her as married to a William Mahon but I've not found supporting evidence of that - the only Agnes Petrie of the right age was married to William Mauchan.

Anyone who has information about William's side, please share.

Thank you,
Sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 August 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
on my tree I have a William Machan son of James Machan and Martha Clark b1793 m Mary McConnachie
                              William Mauchan son of Clark Machan and Elizabeth Altria b 1838 no adult records found 
                              William Mauchan son of James Machan and Margaret Forbes b1822- d1829
                              William  son of William and Mary McConnachie b  1825
                               William     1830-1902 son of Andrew Machan &Margaret Smith (went to Canada)

It would appear the only likely candidate from this bunch would be the son of William and Mary as the person who married Agnes - though I cant find any Census records to prove that
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have several DNA matches whose trees  link.back to James Machan and Margaret Forbes b1822
They seem to link to KYLE side of my family but I can't find the connection
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
If they died pre 1855 the only place is the archives in Edinburgh
Not true. Death and burial records are all over the place. Some places kept good records and others did not.

Would she have been registered on her death certificate under her maiden name?
If she died after 1855 her death would be registered under her married surname but it should be indexed under her maiden and any married names.

If before 1855, it's inconsistent. Sometimes a married woman is recorded by her maiden name and sometimes by her husband's name, if the death or burial is recorded at all. Most are not.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi I have located Elizabeth Altrias DN - she lived to a ripe old age of 94 - her age was incorrectly indexed on SP! Clark on the other hand... I guess he would have had a cheap burial somewhere in Scotland - but I have not located it - he disappears from the records between 1841 and 1851. The family was in Lanark in 1841 and Elizabeth and her children were in Cathcart in 1851. I have not located baptisms for all of their children , half appear not to have been baptised.

I have not seen a link to the Kyle family but then I have only really chased down my line through their son John
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 18:49 BST (UK) »
On ancestry someone has posted the story of the Machans from lanarkshire .

James machan and Margaret Forbes being the first
and the history of the Machan names and variations the proffessions from weavers to pipers  and the Canadian. Descendants including the son who was killed by a bear .

It's frustrating not to be able to find the link .
It's an interesting family .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 22 12:12 BST (UK) »
Jean Machan b Abbey Renfrewshire  1789 m Andrew ARBUCKLE and

1861 Jean ARBUCKLE aged 70 at 46 king Street Pollockshaw  Renfrewshire with Janet ARBUCKLE AGE 55 boarder both are pln winders  I don't know what that is

Interestingly they are living next door to my ancestor Jean MACDERMID (mistranscribed as McDonnid) ms RENFREW  age 72
 formerly Heddle Caster ( that could be a mistranscription ,not seen original )
with her daughter Agnes MacDermid 31 steam loom weaver
45 king Street

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 May 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
Jean Machan b Abbey Renfrewshire  1789 m Andrew ARBUCKLE and 1861 Jean ARBUCKLE aged 70 at 46 king Street Pollockshaw  Renfrewshire with Janet ARBUCKLE AGE 55 boarder both are pln winders  I don't know what that is
Pirn winders. A pirn is a reel or bobbin. A pirn winder wound thread on pirns which were then used in looms. They probably operated machines that did the actual winding.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 May 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfaran these women worked all their lives .

Gillian the link is actually probably to my MACDERMID side and it has led me to discover potential surname of my 5th great grandmother.

If I'm correct  weavers Agnes MacDermid and
Janet ARBUCKLE. are weavers and their mutual grandparents are James MACHAN  and Sarah YOUNG .

(Tho my aunt's  DNA connections imply a closer relationship than 5th cousins to other descendants)