Author Topic: waterloo west derby lancashire  (Read 3264 times)

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
waterloo west derby lancashire
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just discovered that a great uncle of mine was living at 29 oakdale road waterloo west derby in 1911 and wondered if anyone could tell me if the road still exists? or anything about the area. Thankyou
Christine

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: waterloo west derby lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 09 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes it's still there

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=oakdale%20road%20waterloo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

It's a street of late victorian terraced and semi-detached townhouses, in a reasonable area.

At one end is St John's Road which was a good shopping street, and at the other end is Victoria Park which has lots of gardens and playing fields, and a bowls club.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much shaun. I know very little about my dads side of the family as by the time i started my research they were all dead!! so to have information about the places people lived is fascinating my g uncle was a salesman so he was sensible to live near shops. Could i be cheeky and ask another question? I am now looking for births of children for my great aunt and uncle and also their deaths. I have found a possible death in the district toxteth park? is that in the same area?
Thankyou again for your time
christine

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Toxteth Park is south Liverpool; Waterloo is about 6 miles to the north of Liverpool on the coast.  Not far away geographically but very different areas.

In the second half of the 19th century Waterloo and its neighbour Great Crosby became commuter suburbs of Liverpool with easy rail access into the city.

My father's paternal ancestors moved out of the city centre during that time, first to Everton, and then to Waterloo in the 1880's. His maternal family followed a more gradual path north from Toxteth Park, first to Everton, then via Kirkdale, Walton, Bootle, arriving in Waterloo/Crosby in the early 20th.

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 09 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine...this is only for future reference..West Derby is the area where the main Register office was .in your future research you may well find a number of other births/marriages/deaths with West Derby on them...but if they have another district ie Waterloo/Crosby/Allerton/Garston (where I live)/Woolton etc etc its the District name you want and not the West Derby connection...most people in Liverpool had to go to the West Derby Registry Office for their legal certificates....just trying to help...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi ALLAN, Thanks for your help.My biggest problem is that my great uncle and aunty have the surname Powell which can be rather difficult, But hopefully i might be able to narrow my possible deaths down . (I HAVE come to the conclusion that they didnt have any children. ) Thanks for you information.
best wishes
Chris

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
what was your aunties maiden name....chris ??....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Chris,

Just checked my 1915 Waterloo Directory - John T Powell was still at  29 Oakdale then.

The next directory I have is for 1938 - he'd gone by then.

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 January 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan, Thankyou , My uncles name was john thomas powell( bn 1875) and his wife was Louisa(bn 1879)  maiden name rowe. They married in madeley shropshire in 1903. I have a copy of there wedding photo which is why i am so curious to find out what happened to them !

Thanks very much for  taking the time to find this  information Shaun .So i know he was still alive and kicking in 1915!
best wishes
christine