Author Topic: Help to find missing dates and family members  (Read 3860 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find missing dates and family members
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 January 09 06:07 GMT (UK) »

Incoming Passenger Lists;

NAME                      Ann.E.Rea
BIRTH                     26 December 1891 ;D
DEPARTURE            Montreal,Quebec,Canada
ARRIVAL                 3 Sept.1956, Liverpool 

Trish

Unfortunatly, as she will not be on 1891 census, only have 1901 to find her with parents Thomas and ?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 January 09 06:54 GMT (UK) »
This family is also on the following thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,352882

There is quite a lot of information on that thread including a possible birth for Ann Elizabeth which fits with the specific birth date found by trish1120:
Ann Elizabeth HAWKINS, Mar qtr 1892, Bromsgrove, 6c 381

It does seem that your next step is, as advised on the other thread, to purchase the 1911 marriage certificate of John Albert REA and Ann Elizabeth HAWKINS.  That should list the name and occupation of the fathers of the bride and the groom.

JAP

Offline tristadubrule1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 January 09 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...She wouldnt have been on the 1891 census, she wasnt born just yet. Im on a hunt for her mother and father.
Thank - you

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 January 09 07:20 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks JAP,

Note to myself, check other postings before looking for info ;) ;) ;)

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 January 09 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi tristadubrule1,

There seems to be a bit of confusion  :)

It's best to find out as much other information as possible before trying to search for an Irish connexion.

Yes, you are quite right that Ann Elizabeth HAWKINS, born Dec 1891, would not be on the 1891 UK census.

But, if she was living in the UK in 1901, then she should be on the 1901 UK census.

However, as I understand it, you don't yet know her father's name for sure.
So the first thing to do is to try to find out for sure what the name and occupation of her father is.

One thing that you do know for sure is that Annie HAWKINS married John A REA in June quarter 1911 in Alcester.
So purchasing that marriage cert would be the best next step as it should tell you the name and occupation of her father.
Armed with that information, RootsChatters will be better able to search the censuses, etc

If the marriage certificate doesn't list her father, then one might perhaps suspect that she could have been illegitimate ...
Which possibly stymies further research ...

However, there is still one further possibility.
That is to purchase the birth cert of what seems very likely to be the birth of your Annie i.e.
Ann Elizabeth HAWKINS, Mar qtr 1892, Bromsgrove, 6c 381

Kind regards,

JAP

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a story in the family that John Albert Rea went missing in action, no body was ever found.

This looks like him:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1767381

Soldiers Died in the Great War adds that he was born and resident in Redditch, and killed in action.  (As he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, he has no known grave so his body was probably never found.)

So assuming this is him, only Ethel and Katherine H (Hilda?) could have been his children.

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 September 16 01:01 BST (UK) »
There is an army service record (on Ancestry) for John Albert Rea which contains quite detailed information.  States he married Ann Elizabeth Hawkins 21/5/1911 Ipsley, Warwick - witnesses were Thos. Wm. Hawkins (father or brother??) and Ellen Parsons (who was a married sister of John Albert.  A declaration that this was correct was signed by A E Rea and witnessed by a priest on 3/11/1919 as well as:

Father - Thomas Rea 51
Stepmother - Rhoda Rea 41
Brothers - Frederick 29
               Percy 22
Sisters - Ellen Parsons 30
             Eva Lewis 35

Half-sisters: Hilda Rea 15 and Gladys Rea 12.

Father Thomas Rea's first wife was Annie - some trees on Ancestry state she was Annie Stanley and that they married circa 1884/5 - however, it looks like they were never actually married as there is no marriage listed in Marriage Index.   Annie died in 1901 and Thomas went on to marry a Rhoda Jones at Bromsgrove in 1903 and they had 2 daughters (as shown above).   

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tristadubrule1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 September 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
There is a story in the family that John Albert Rea went missing in action, no body was ever found.

This looks like him:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1767381

Soldiers Died in the Great War adds that he was born and resident in Redditch, and killed in action.  (As he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, he has no known grave so his body was probably never found.)

So assuming this is him, only Ethel and Katherine H (Hilda?) could have been his children.

Yes only Ethel and Hilda are his only blood children... However Annie Rea wife of John Albert Rea has stated on all the other children's birth cert that he was the father.
That is a big secret in our family as Gladys was the last child alive.. she died nov 2008.. Gladys herself told us that John Albert Rea was her dad even though he was actually missing in action I believe Nov 1914.. I do have his records now and even the letter that Nanny Rea (Annie) received saying he was missing... I also have the letters stating in 1921 that they declared him dead.
But I have also heard a story he went missing but never died but after months of hiding he went back to Annie Rea his wife and continued a life... nobody can say for sure either if he lived or actually died.... Nanny Rea died Feb 18 1961 she was standing in her livingroom and just fell over..
Blood clot of the brain...