Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39833 times)

Offline Scowie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 16 September 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, I am a documentary maker in Sydney Australia and I am researching a documentary about links between Australia and Waterloo. I understand about 5,000 Peninsula and Waterloo veterans ended up in Van Diemen's Land as convicts after 1815 and I am trying to track some of their ancestors down (and, indeed, to identify some of them) Given your very large database, I wonder if you have any suggestions?

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 09 October 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I was wondering if you had a Shadrach (Shadrack) Purton in your database?
According to an archive newspaper article it states

"the  late Mr Shadrach Purton was an old Waterloo soldier, and many were the thrilling stories “Quizz” has heard him relate of that great battle, as they walked through those fields to victory. At the time of that never to be forgotten battle, Shadrack Purton was a married soldier, and his good little wife tramped many weary miles with his regiment, carrying her first born, George, on her back".

Shadrach was my x3 great grandfather and was born in 1795 in Kent, England and I have been told he enlisted in the 52nd Oxfordshire Light Infantry Regiment ( but I have not confirmed this).

He immigrated to Tasmania, Australia on 26th December 1831,

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 09 October 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine

Martin hasn't been on since May.

I can tell you that he is listed as Private Shadrack Purton and served in Captain John Shiddin's company at Waterloo - in the 52nd Foot.

According to the NA Catalogue his record is on microfilm in Kew - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3965283&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CPURTON&accessmethod=0

This should also mean they are on Findmypast. They will only be a few pages and almost certainly will not tell you anymore about his family. If you are looking for his parents you should try a post on the Kent section.

Ken

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 10 October 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your answer and the link to his records at the Archives. Just my luck I only recently signed up to Ancestry! I did have a quick look at Findmypast and he is listed as receiving the medal for Waterloo but I don't suppose it would give any extra info anyway.

regards Janine
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline betyty1712

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 10 October 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin - I see you have records relating to Waterloo.

The event I'm looking for info on happened just after the battle, so you may not be able to help but in desperation I thought it worth a shot!!
I'm trying - with little success - to find out about the death of my 3x gr grandfather, Private William Norgate, who served in the 11th Light Dragoons. I've managed to find out quite a bit about him - he enrolled at Eastbourne on the 24th Mar 1804, into Captain John Sleigh's troop. Skipping a few years - the troop embarked for France in Dec 1812. His name is mentioned on the Waterloo roll of honour.

What I'm REALLY looking for is how & why he died - apparently he was murdered at Houcqueliers, Northern France on the 24th Aug 1818, when the regiment were stationed at Clarques (according to the muster rolls)
I would imagine, if he was murdered by a fellow soldier, there would be records of a courts martial. Even if it was by a French civilian, there would presumably have been a court case if the murderer was found.
Any info at all that you could offer would be of interest to me - especially his dob. According to his enlistment info, he was born at Hinton Ampner, Hampshire, but on a lot of the trees on Genes Reunited, he was born at Ropley. There is also a lot of confusion as to his dob - some have him born 1790, others 1795. I believe it was earlier than that, as he would have been far too young to have enlisted in 1804! I'm guessing at some around 1780-85, but so far have found no record of his birth.
Fingers crossed (but not holding my breath!!) that you may have even a tiny bit of info that may help!!

Thanks for reading,
Kath Magson

Offline Keesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 18 November 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin
My gg Grandfather, Justus Rutherford is purported to have fought at the Battle of Waterloo. He was born in County Leitrim, Ireland about 1778. I believe he may have been an officer and was given land in Canada after discharge. Do you have any info about him in your Waterloo database?
Many thanks
Jack
Carter - Dorset, Essex, Cambridgeshire, UK, Victoria Aus.
Laurie - London, UK, Canada
Smith - Islay, Argyll, Scotland
Major - Down, Ireland
Jackson -  Ireland
Gardiner -  Ireland

Offline Flossy555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 21 February 11 07:59 GMT (UK) »
I keep a detailed database of all 30,000 Waterloo combatants and am happy to help for free with any enquiries regarding Waterloo soldiers.

Regards
Martin Aaron

My great great grandfather was a convict transported to Australia on the Tottenham in 1818.
His "crime" was determined through a court-martial in Cambrai on 22/2/1817.
Are these records available for review?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
You need to post his name, and age, place of birth and regiment if you have it.

Ken

Offline Flossy555

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I only have his "name" - John Robinson AND that he was a tailor/soldier from County Wexford.
He was 19 when court martialed (dob about 1798)