Author Topic: ancstry : passengers to canada,look up please  (Read 6051 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ancstry : passengers to canada,look up please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Debbie !

Once again,I´m seriously impressed.
I`ve spent most of the day trying to sort out all these names and make some sense of them ,and then your latest infos came through.

I`d never been able to find the birth of Ernest W Simons,despite having a rough age to go on,but now with a certain date have decided he must be the Male Simons listed for 1867.Also, "Jessie " is registered as Harriet Jessie O....It was the O for Olive that makes it believable.

So many descendants I never knew about.There´s nothing  in the family oral legend that ever even hinted at Canada,and this isn´t even that long ago.

There´s a later entry on Ancestrys passenger list for an Ernest William Simons born 1868 +/- 1 for the year 1930,back to Quebec....is it possible he was visiting the home country??

The only thing that doesn´t quite add up is the death notice for Louisa Fuller.
You relate that she is at death in 1929 is aged 87 birthdate 8 March 1842.
I have her exactly 5 years younger ,the canadian census 1891 confirms this.

Does Ancestry have transcriptions or original images? If the written age 82 was misread as 87 (which when I think of my own handwriting is more than possible!) and maybe the date of birth only calculated from that ? Or is it that when you get to that age not even your own daughter can remember how old you are ?

I have to admit,I never even thought to look at Trees on this family.It just all moved too quickly......thanks mostly to you!

regards
Rebel

PS How´s the dog doing?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
The entry for Ernest William Simons, 63, married, husband, Born Nethwold England, came to Canada Nov 1883 and resided in Canada until 16 July 1930 - current address 107 Pearl St. Hamilton, Ont.
Left Glasgow 5 Sep 1930 on board the Athenia and arrived Montreal, Quebec 13 Sept 1930.

He indicated husband on the form under relationship.  Why?  Because he was a husband and his wife wasn't there?  The entry above indicated wife but she has a different name and only Hamilton for an address.  I'll include it but it probably means nothing.

Elizabeth Shepherd, wife, 64, married, born Callander Scotland, came to Canada March 1912 and resided there until 27 June 1930,  current address Hamilton.

Vital records for Ontario come in many different forms.   Some provide detailed information, some are just one line entries in books with no room for details.  Some are handwritten and others typed.  The one for Louisa is a typed entry.  My experience with the Canadian census and ages - some are very accurate and others vary by a few years and others by many many years.  My husband's ggrandmother was also Louisa but appears as Leviza, Levissa, Voiza in records - sometimes you just have to use your imagination.

Do you have Louisa's birth certificate?  The information on the death certificate would come from who reported the death.  I know I have seen a link to Hamilton cemetery information online - I'll just have to try and figure out where and send you the link.

If you want any original images I guess the procedure is to send me a private message with your email address and we can proceed from there.

Debbie

Slow road to recovery for the dog - she had a severe case of pancreatitis which prompted an acute hepatitis on top of other issues.  She will not be a happy dog for a long time - she just had a bad day yesterday.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link for grave information across Ontario.  I thought it had transcriptions of headstone information but once you get the reference number for the gravesite you contact some other agency that holds the records and for a fee can buy the information - I thought you might find a different birth date transcribed on the headstone than what the Ontario death registration indicated.

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

At least you can search for some of the names you have found and see if any of them are listed and whether they stayed in the same area of Ontario.

Debbie

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

thank you for finding the gravesites address.
Several of the Simons family are buried at Hamilton ,including Richard and Louisa,so I´ll probably order copies of those two.

Louisa (judging by age on censii) was  born in 1837.Registration started in June that year,so if the birthday-date given at death ie March was correct ,that explains why I could never find a reference for her! The current transcription of parish records for Methwold stops at 1831,so I have her brother´s birth and the parents´names from that.....and they match up too with the details given at death.

Very kind of you to offer to send original images but that´s going too far! I´ll maybe try and trick ancestry.ca into giving me a 2-week free trial and download everything then.
My genealogical pocket money is seriously depleted this month....the UK census 1911 finally came on line last week on a pay-per-view basis !No big surprises but it was whilst I was tracking Louisa´s brother through previous censii that I came across Ernest Simons again and started thinking laterally instead of forward and back.And then came Canada ....!!!

Thanks for all your help.
You´ve been wonderful.

Rebel