Author Topic: ancstry : passengers to canada,look up please  (Read 6052 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancstry : passengers to canada,look up please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 January 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Death of Richard Simon #020191
died 19 Aug 1889 at 62 Hamilton, Wentworth County
labourer
Methodist
cause - debility 6 months
physician J Anderson, Hamilton
death registered 20 August 1889

debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Found the marriage of Andrew's son

Andrew Alfred Simons, 19, bachelor, Methodist, b. Toronto, living at 16 Poucher St. Toronto
occupation - driver  Father Andrew Fuller Simons b. England Mother Emma Dunn
to
Dorothea Mary Hyndman, 17, spinster, Methodist, b. England, living at 14 Wardell Ave. Toronto
occupation - operator Father James Darby Hyndman b. England Mother Jane Ann E. Burton
on 1 May 1924 at Toronto, Ontario
Witnesses: Mrs. J.D. Cobain 22 bolton Ave. Toronto and Mrs. L.E. Steve 12 Poucher St., Toronto

Both the bride and groom can read and write.

debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Andrew and Emma seem to have a number of children all born Toronto, York County, Ontario
Ancestry only has birth records available until 1909

Ernest Newton Simons 14 Jan 1898
Ella Louise Simons 11 Nov 1891
Frederick James Simons 5 Jan 1897
Harold Irwin Simons 19 Jul 1895
Ida Ellen Simons 7 Aug 1899
Lillie Evelyne  Simons 25 Dec 1893
William Richard Simons 6 Jun 1907

Debbie

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 January 09 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Itīs dark,itīs raining ,itīs miserable.....but I`ve just come home and found all your wonderful replies to my query.

The best bit is the confirmation of Louisaīs maidenname and ie that of  her mother.I`d always assumed so but had no proof.

No,I donīt know anything about Richardīs family.I only found the connection to them coincidentally.
I`d "lost" Louisa after the 1881 Census but found an Ernest W. Simons,same birthplace,"visiting" her brother in the Uk 1891 Census.Ernest (Louisa`s son) is also registered with her in the Canadian 1891
but I was informed (via an earlier posting) that in Canada it was usual to include persons normally resident but temporarily absent.I guess this must be the case because these are 100% the right family.

Again,my special thanks.
IOU

Rebel

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 January 09 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I seem to be having more luck with Andrew and his family than his siblings.

Death of Frederick James simons 5 July 1905 age 8
B. 1897 lived on Poucher St.  (no parents are given but Poucher St. is where Andrew lived on one of the records I sent you)
Cause of death:  Drowned in Dow (definitely drowned but I could be wrong on the reading of Dow)
The occupation was filled in as Excavator (was Frederick working and helping his father or did his father give his occupation?)
Registration #003029

Harold Irwin Simons married 29 June 1916 at Toronto, Ontario
to Kathleen donald Brown b. 1897 Greenock, Scotland  parents William Brown and Elizabeth Boyd

Ida Ellen Simmons married 19 July 1917 Toronto to Fred Elmer Anderson b. 1896 Shelburne, Ontario parents John Anderson and Annie Elizabeth Attridge.

So far no trace of Phillipa or Newton - have you checked the UK incoming passenger lists to see if they returned to England?

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
This might be Alfred Simons born 1875

Link to entry on the 1911 census.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=58180&highlight=19&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Rose+Simons

Alfred born Feb 1875, emmigrated 1883 from England which would fit.  His daughter Rose is shown as being born in the US in Dec 1899 and then the record indicates a move back to Canada in 1908

There is a record of Alfred H. Simons born 19 Aug 1907 St. Catherine's, Lincoln County, Ontario with father of Alfred Simons and mother Mary F. Harding.  Father's occupation - clerk.  Registration #027221

Marriage of Olive Rose Simons born New York City USA 1900, age 22, parents Alfred Simons, born England, and Mary Harding
to Fred King Warren b. 1901 St. Catharines, Ont., 21, parents Fred R. Warren born Canada and Louise Nunn Warren
on 1 May 1922 Niagara Falls, Welland County, Ontario  Registration #021981

Couldn't find a marriage record for Alfred and Mary - the census record indicates Roman Catholic religon so I might find something in the Catholic records.  If someone has access to US census records they might show up on the 1900 census in New York State.

There is also a US Florida Social Security Death Record for Alfred Simons born 28 Feb 1875, died Nov 1966 at the age of 91.  Last known residence Florida Zip Code 33136.  Possibility?????

The weather is beautiful here right now - sunny and warm and a nice break from the winter cold we've been having.  Your project has been a great diversion.  I am looking after a sick dog and it helps to think of other things.

I have been helped by kind strangers in unravelling some difficult family lines and when I can I like to try and pay it forward.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Link to 1901 census entry for Louisa, Fred, Jessie and William
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=53393&highlight=25&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Fred+Simmons

Haven't been able to find anything else for Fred - nothing seems to match in the 1911 census, no death or marriage - perhaps he went to the US if that's where Alfred went.

I didn't pick up any children for Jessie and Alfred

Children I found for Lillie and Frank Adams both born in Wentworth County are
Olive B Adams 29 Mar 1904 Wentworth parents Frank Adams and Lily symons
Alfred Leslie Adams 18 Sep 1902 Wentworth parents Frank E. Adams and lillias M. Symon

Was Olive a family name?  Alfred and his wife also named their daughter Olive.

I think I'm done for the day! It's always nice to see a formerly blank page filled with data.   I'll look again tomorrow and see if I come up with anything more.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
One more thought.  If you have access to ancestry.uk then you can access family trees.  There is one that contains Richard and Louisa but only Ernest W. b. 17 May 1867 and marrying Hannah Daniels 31 Dec 1908, William b. 1867, Fred b. 16 May 1880 marrying 1 July 1911 Margaret Ann Snow in Toronto and Jessie Olive marrying the man we found.  The tree is owned by someone in Vancouver, BC and is known as vjaniceblair but by putting in one of the people mentioned above you should be able to find it.

The other has Mary F. Harding marrying Alfred Montaque Simons.  They have him with parentage out of Westhoe Durham, arriving 1883, emmigrating to Philadelphia in 1885, living in Truro in 1901 census and in 1911 living in Ontario.  No Rose on their family tree.  Marriage to Mary but no date or place.  Their tree is Blove/Howell.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for Ernest W. Simons #022787 age 41 b. 1867 Father Richard Simons  Mother Louisa Fuller
married 31 Dec 1908 at Hamilton Wentworth County Ontario to
Hannah Daniels, age 40 b. 1868 Father Thomas Daniels  Mother Jeanette henderson
witnessed by Ella Daniels and harvey Roland both of Hamilton

The ancestry tree had Frederick marrying Margaret Snow - I could find the marriage record but it had no information to identify parents.  I did however find the death of 2 of their children and both indicated that Margaret was born in England and Frederick was born in Canada
Freda Margaret Simons b. 26 apr 1912 d. 15 Dec 1930 from advanced pulmonary T.B.  Her father Fred Simons was living at 332 Bleecher St. Toronto.  Freda was working as a housekeeper
Lillian Iris Symons or Simons b. Dec 30, 1924 d. Jan 13, 1925 from aortic insufficiency.

There is a Fred F. Simmons who married Thoymas Etta E. Newell 7 Jun 1905 London, Middlesex County, Ontario but his parents were Robert simmons and Louisa F. Blatchford.  Fred was born in London as were other siblings so that one you can cross off the possibility list.

Found this - not directly related to this search but her birth was Norfolk.
Death of Maud Simons Nov 30, 1921 Toronto, Ontario  b. 29 Feb 1892 Norfolk, England
In Canada 10 years
Father James Simons England  Mother's maiden name Rose from England
Husband Arthur Simons
Died from cardiac failure and scarlet fever - 3 days duration

Could not pull up a marriage between Alfred Montaque Simons and Annie McTunney.  There was the birth of their daughter Evelyn May in 1898 in Frontenac County, Ontario.  That would be half-way between Toronto, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec.  If the ancestry tree is correct and not mixing up Alfred's he certainly got around.  From Hamilton (which is west of Toronto) to the US, to Frontenac County, to Nova Scotia and back to St. Catherines area.

Debbie