Author Topic: marriage lookup Halifax AMBLER  (Read 2660 times)

Offline dkm1987

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage lookup Halifax AMBLER
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
IGI shows
James Ambler marrying Nancy Priestley on 5 Sept 1792, Halifax from the extracted Bishop's transcripts of Halifax Church.

I am trying to find James' age and or where he is from so I can find more on James.

Known Children were
Grace b 30 Mar 1795
Abraham/Abram b. 1 Nov 1802
James b. 24 Dec 1805

Any help in identifying James is greatly appreicated

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: marriage lookup Halifax AMBLER
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello dkm

I've just seen your post. According to the Calderdale FHS transcription James and Nancy both came from Northowram, James was a (wool) comber. No other information I'm afraid.

There is another marriage of a woolcomber James Ambler from Northowram - to Nancy Dearden 27 Dec 1786. I don't know whether this is the same James or a different one, can't see a burial anywhere but they may be noncomformist.

Lots of Amblers in Northowram!

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline dkm1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 January 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.

Yes there are a lot of Ambler in NOrthowram. I am trying to tie James to a parent that may be listed in Louis Ambler's book on the AMbler family which then should get me back a couple more generations.

Again thank you

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
My Amblers are also from Northowram.  My great great grandfather Joseph Ambler married Martha Priestley 11.02.1839 at Halifax. 

Theres a tree on FS and although they can't be taken as gospel I find them good for ideas  https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/M58R-NQV

It has James as being born circa 1769 but they have him linked to Timothy Ambler 1721.  Timothy 1721 is on my tree as an uncle but I haven't a James on his list that I have collated.

They do accredit some children to this couple which may be worth checking out and they have James marrying Nancy Priestley. One baptism Sarah 19.02.1798 non conformist mentions both names of parents and abode as Clayton.  Clayton is only 4 miles from Northowram. Molly 28.08.1796, John 13.12.1793 James 24.12.1805 both non confomist.

Hope this helps

Offline dkm1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 22 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info but that post is from several years ago and since then I have been able to find the baptism of James in 1754. Someone copied my research and then obviously put it on Familysearch with a lot of incorrect info (typical).  This James dies in 1837 and marries Nancy Priestly (Priestley) in 1792. James is listed in the baptism books but because the film is so dark no one was able to transcribe it until I ran the image through processing. Better copies are now available and it's pretty clear. James is the eldest of Timothy Ambler who married Mary Longbottom. This was Timothy's second marriage. His first was Eden Bairstow. Timothy is the son of Joshua Ambler and Hannah Oates.

James' baptism reads "James son of Timothy Ambler of Northowram baptised October 20 1754" Top left entry on the page.
Northowram, Halifax (Independent), 1744-1760 PRO film RG4/2078 Image 21

My tree is public on Ancestry.com with all the corresponding ancestry and links to sources.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for getting back.  A fellow researcher that I am in contact with is from Timothy Ambler/Eden Bairstow line.

Mine are through Emma, Joseph, Timothy, John, Isaac, Josh then Joshua and Hannah nee Oates, John and Ann Illingworth, John and Barbara Shawe, Then 2 posibles either William and Sybill nee Butterfield, or Peter and Isabell Brodlye.  Looking like these two were brothers with father John?

Is your tree under dkm1987? I don't have ancestry.

Thanks for the info

Eileen

Offline dkm1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 17:56 GMT (UK) »
My old roots web one was but I don't think I have updated it in many many years.

My ancestry user is dkm1987 but the tree is named Vink, after my mother. Her mother was Grace Ambler, daughter of Charles (b. Northowram 1868), son of Enoch (b. Northowram 1832), son of Abraham (b. Northowram 1802), son of James (b. Northowram 1754), son of Timothy (b. Northowram 1721), son of Joshua (b. Northowram 1669), son of John (b. Northowram 1632), son of John (b. about 1610).

Once I proved my line back to Timothy I was able to use Louis Ambler's book. Many years ago I had copied it to a searchable PDF and that made it a lot easier. I have verified some of his information but not all. I have all the corresponding evidence back to Timothy to verify my line to him. But I don't research much anymore.

I have my tree up on MyHeritage (DanKimDec2018) as well as several DNA sites too.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

We do share an ancestor which is good. Joshua and Hannah are my 7 great grandparents. Josh their son was my ancestor and the eldest.  Timothy  yours was the youngest.

We have proved the two John's after Joshua so they are correct.  My great grandmother Emma Ambler and her family still lived in Northowram. 

I am hoping to put the Amblers to bed.  My next one is Barraclough which in Yorkshire is like Smith and Jones lol

Take care and Merry Christmas

Eileen