Author Topic: SWAN of Liberton  (Read 14186 times)

Offline Rena33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SWAN of Liberton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Would you consider emailing my daughter the photos aswell. I have photo of my gran - Catherine and birth certificates etc. If  we manage to scan will send what I can to your email addresses. Irene I will get my daughter to email you then you will have her address hope this is suitable. Will be after the weekend.

Regards

Rena

Offline kenzie56_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 02:57 BST (UK) »
Photo's sent. I hope you receive them.  I have just realized that these are not the Swan sisters but the McKenzie sisters.  Jemima and Davids daughters.  Hopefully your mom may be able to tell me if I have the right name attached to the right women.

I also have quite a bit of documentation that I can share.

Irene

Offline grianaig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 May 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Anyone have details of George(1818) 1st Marriage to Isabella Somerville?

Have gone through Scotlandspeople and found only 1 child born to the couple, that of Isabella D Swan(1847). The other child George(1840) can't be found. Though in the 1841 Census he is shown along with parents as being George & Isabella.

What else confuses me is that he is supposed and went on to have children, before dying in 1870. The children are supposed to be as follows Mary Anderson Swan, Georgina Isabella Sommerville Swan & James Murray Ramsay Swan.  Mary Anderson(1865) may be legit, but the other 2 remain a mystery. Georgina(1871) & James(1872) pose a problem, how if George(1840) if legit can be desceased in 1870 go on and have another 2 kids????

It may be a few weeks before I can look into this, in the meantime has anyone have docs to prove the pedigree??

Iain
I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment.

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
I've just registered with this site, having started to investigate my wife's family tree on her mother's side. Her mother was the late Margaret McKenzie Archibald. Margaret's mother was Margaret ("Meg") McKenzie; daughter of David Hook McKenzie & Jemima Swan. That will make my wife, a great grand-daughter of David & Jemima. The existing posts have got me off to a flying start for which I'm grateful. I'm also reporting my findings to * & her sister * who are daughters of Jessie, another daughter of the said David Hook McKenzie & Jemima Swan...so the said David & Jemima were their grandparents. Like us, * lives in Edinburgh while * is in Oxford where I note one of her relatives seems to have studied!
Happy to share what I can. I plan to visit Rosebank Cemetery in next few days to see the grave of David & Jemima tho I am told by the supervisors of the cemetery that they have no legible stone.
Dark Island
WW

* Moderator comment: I have removed names of living persons, as this is against Rootschat Policy.

Offline kenzie56_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
I am also a great granddaughter of David and Jemima. My grandfather was David & Jemima's son, Colin McKenzie, my father was Colin's son, also Colin.  I have loads of info which I would love to share.  You can email me at (email address removed, please use PM)  I live in Ontario but all my relations are in Scotland.  I have many documents as well as a few photo's of Jemima, David and family.  There are some interesting facts about the my Scottish relations. * Removed living persons details

I have the cemetery documents for Rosebank.  David purchased a double plot (in depth).  Others have been to the cemetery but could not find a head stone.  I do have the plot info though.
Would love to share info.

Regards

Irene

* Removed living persons details as against Rootschat policy

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dark Island,

Sorry but I had to remove names of living persons as this against our policy, can I ask you to post again, then you will have made 3 posts, which allows you to use the Personal Message (PM) system, where you can exchange all that family stuff without breaking rules etc. I notice kenzie56_99 has made more than 3 posts, so you can soon be passing messages to each other.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 11:01 BST (UK) »

I am sorry we have been unable to pass on your new replies to grianaig, Iian has changed his email address and we have not been able to find a new one for him.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 14:27 BST (UK) »

I checked Rosebank Cemetery, Leith this morning to trace the grave of David Hook McKenzie & Jemima Swan who are in Plot PW356. Sadly they have no stone marking the grave so nothing to be revealed from any inscription, I do have the plan marking their plot should anybody want directions. The cemetery record holders state that the grave also contains their son James B McKenzie, buried there on 5 March 1933.

Hope the above helps tho sadly nothing to be found at cemetery itself.

Dark Island

Offline Alistair Knox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 August 15 04:17 BST (UK) »
"Just caught up with this thread and remembered that I too have Swan surnames in my tree from Liberton, Midlothian.....starting with William Swan b 1734 whom married a Margaret McAlpine.    They had a daughter Isabel b 1759 whom married a Adam Borthwick.    William and Margaret also had the following children...

Isabel b 1759
John b 1760
Janet b1763
James b 1766
Marion b 1768
William b 1772
Agnes b 1774
Margaret b 1776"

HI all-I may be direct descendant of James Swan b 1766 as my Edinburgh,Midlothian-born immigrant[Cape Town,South Africa 1879] g-g/father David Knox b circa 1844 was son of Alexander Knox b 1811 Liberton married to Catherine Swan b circa 1816 St Cuthberts,Midlothian,daughter of James Swan [miraculously conceived without female aid?] marriage record Liberton 1843. Alexander Knox was a railway porter at the time. James Swan died circa September 1862. I have 2 pics of handsome dark-haired woman who must be Catherine Swan in my g-g/pop's Edinburgh collection [photographer's details on back,unfortunately nobody thought to record names of subjects!]. With her is a serious-looking dark-haired girl-probably daughter Mary Knox.  I only have children David,Alexander and Mary so far. Am I on the right track? Could be cousins as James et al are very common Scots names and up to my pop's generation,middle names seem uncommon..