Author Topic: SWAN of Liberton  (Read 14191 times)

Offline grianaig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SWAN of Liberton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

MY connection if through my Mums side of the family,  George Swan & Jane Susan Clark.
So my lineage would be

George(1818) - John(1856) - John(1885) - John O'Hara(1911) - Margaret(my mum) then myself.

As you can see George would be my 3x G Granda, and yes I still live in Scotland. As far as I know that my Mums Dad were the only ones  to move to the West Coast, the others by large still live in or around Edinburgh and the Liberton area. Have traced a few distant cousins and half cousins to Canada & NZ even down to England.

Anything that you have would be of value, as I am willing to share any docs that I have showing my connection to George(1818).

Cheers

Iain
I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment.

Offline Mary Kitchen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
I am searching for parents of Alexander and Robert Swan. They came to USA in late 1700's. Both were in the Milling business so maybe learned their trade from their father. Family legend has another brother but I do not have a name for him.Alexander married in 1805(Virginia USA) and Robert married in 1795(Maryland USA) so think Robert was the oldest. Alexander is in Personal Property list in Virginia in 1799 so he was most likely 21or above.Think he was born mid 1770's., Robert mid 1760's. I hope someone can help me find this lost branch of our Swan family.

Offline Rena33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 May 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

Georges parents George and Alison Banks were married on 1st October 1813, He was coal contractor/gas worker lived in Liberton. I think there was a John Swan born Dec 1815, think maybe Georges brother. He was born at Edgehead Liberton.We have George born on 9th March 1818. Possible christening date would be 5th April. He married Isobella Somerville in 1840. He was 19 and she 18. Had one son George, then one daughter who died before 1851. They lived in Little Jacks Close, canongate in 1841 census. 1851 census 42 Big Jocks Close- George 32, Jane 24, George 11, Phillip Clark (pattern Maker) 16 and Mary Clark (scholar)11 (both siblings to Jane).

George 42 and Jane 34, Living with them (22 St Johns Street) (married In 1850)  in 1861 census were:

George 21 (Son of Isabella Somerville and George)
Henrietta 9
William 8
Jane 6
John 5 (your line?)
Mary 1
Mary Clark -21 and Philip Clark - brother and sister of Jane Clark.
Serving Maid also.

In 1871 Census:
George and Mary Clark were Married and lived in 8 East Adams Street. Married in  Dec 1867. I think there first Daughter Jessie, was born in 21st October 1967 before they married. (On birth certificate down as illegitimate)

George 52
Mary 31
Henrietta 19
William 18
Jane 16
John 15
Mary 11
Margaret 9
Jessie 3
William 2
Euphameia 1
My granny was born in 1877 - 31 Albert Street -Catherine Banks.

George Swan (1818) was the last moderator of the High Constables of the Canongate which disbanded in1856. He died on the 9th April 1882 in the new RIE of its time, aged 64. He died of Carcinoma of the stomach, pleurasy, pneumonia (left side), cirrhosis of both kidneys, gangrenous left foot.   (My daughter added 'misuse of the groin region!') Mary Clark died 1886. Probably from exhaustion!!
George had at least 5 brothers, but haven't looked into this. I remember my mum saying he was the smallest of 6 brothers and he was 6' tall.

I have copies of the minutes of each meeting that Geoge attended of the high constables. Some entries suggested that he was often late and fined for behaviour unbecoming to a business man of the community!!

Hope this helps with your search. If not let me know if can help in any other way

Rena

Offline Rena33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 May 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Iain,

Found a little bit more info. 1881 census - 115 Albert Street:

George 61 (this is not true as he should be 63)
Mary 41
Jane 26
Mary 21
Margaret 19
Jessie 13 (illegitamate - my great aunt, can only remember her)
Euphemia 11
Jemima 9
Philip 7
Catherine 3 (my granny, who died when I was 5 in 1938)

regards

rena

Offline kenzie56_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain & Rena

I tried posting this earlier but it didn't seem to post. 

I am connected to this line through Mary Clark.  My gr grandmother was Jemima Swan who was married to David Hook Mckenzie.  Jemima is Catherine's sister.   Jemima and
David has Colin McKenzie.  He married Jenny Campbell.  They had Colin McKenzie (my father) and Jean.  I wonder if you might remember by Aunt Jean.  Jean Mckenzie married James Adam.  My aunt remembers some of the older family members as well.  Jean is now 83 living in Cullen.

I would love to share any info that you have.  I have quite a bit of documentation that I could forward.

Please contact me at (*).

I have photo's of Jemima and David but the last time I tried to post them here they didn't upload.

Regards

Irene

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline grianaig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 May 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Rena,

As for Catherine did she marry an Alexander Strathdee? if so have found 1 entry for them in the 1901 Census giving that they had a son also named Alexander born 1900.

George had a few siblings, Margaret(1814) & John(1816). Though someone else claims he had another sister born in 1830 named Janet.

Your correct about the 1861 Census about John(5), he was my 2x G Granda. Have you been in contact with an Irene McKenzie? she shares the Swan lineage as well. She is related down through George & Mary and their daughter Jemima(1872).

Will attatch a few images in my next post.

Iain

Offline kenzie56_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 May 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

Rena, I would love to see copies of the minutes of the High Constables.  

I also have photo's of some of the Swan sisters, Euphemia, Kate & Jessie.

Irene

Offline grianaig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Irene

Could you e-mail the photos of Sisters?

Cheers
Iain

Offline kenzie56_99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Will do

Keep in mind that George and Mary had daughters Euphemia, Catherine, Jessie and Jemima.  Jemima and David then named their daughters after Jemima's sisters.

I'll send via email as I don't have much luck posting photo's here

Irene