Author Topic: Meiklemean  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Meiklemean
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I am curious about the surname Meiklemean, and wondered if anyone has come across it in their own searches, especially after 1855? Did the name perhaps change - to McMichan perhaps, or did the family just die out? I have found only three references: Janet Meiklemean buried in old Dunrod kirkyard (who married James McClune), both born in the later 1600's), Janet Meiklemean who is listed as a Covenanter (might have been the above Janet's mother), and Janet Meiklemean in the Rerrick Kirk sessions in the 1700's, pauper who received money. My searches yield nothing using this name and I'm hoping someone can suggest an alternative ???

Thank you in anticipation!
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Meiklemean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't do much on the Scottish side, (anything north of the border is connected to my good lady) but her family surnames include Meikle, mostly associated to Roxburgh and Berwickshire but also the odd flirtation into Northumberland.

We have only got back to around 1800 or so with that line but the spelling is always consistent. Quite whether the name extends further afield we have yet to discover.

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Glen. Meikle does seem to be the most obvious option, doesn't it, but I have had no luck finding any clear connection to Janet searching Meikle. That might just be because of the time period or simply that the Meiklemeans just didn't register births/marriages etc.!

Gadget, would you mind looking through the indexes of your MI's when you have a spare moment? Big please and thank you.  I don't have the Dunrod or Kirkcudbright books, and only know about Janet because I have been to Dunrod and seen the gravestone. Unfortunately I didn't think to look for more Meiklemeans at the time as I was on a McClune mission.

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatza

I came across your last message by chance. I'll have a look over the next week or so.

In some of my piles of info on Kirkcudbrightshire, I recall finding a piece about some of the surnames that are particular to this area. I'm not sure where it would be but if I find it, I'll post.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 January 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Not quite on topic but idle rambling :)

I have often wondered if there is some significant meaning to Meikle, here in the borders there are a few places with Meikle in the placename and there is a saying

"Many a Meikle makes a Muckle"

I know Muckle can mean big or huge so maybe Meikle means small or little?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Just been doing an idle Google  ;D

The surname Meikle comes from the Middle English word "meikle," meaning "great," or "large,"

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/Meikle-family-crest.htm

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Any chance your name could be a version of Meikleman?, there are a few in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire are between 1800 - 1847

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Not much help but ...

Here's a Google reference at:
http://www.archive.org/stream/scottishrecordso18scotuoft/scottishrecordso18scotuoft_djvu.txt
(A Register of Testaments)
Meiklemean, Andrew, in Gile of Newlaw i, 1749
„ John, in Drumoir 7, 1677
„ John, in Bar, par. of Rerrick 3, 1741

ScotlandsPeople has them, in a Wills search:
John MEIKLEMEIN, 30/11/1677, in Drumoir, Kirkcudbright Commissary Court
John MEIKLEMEAN, 27/11/1741, in Bar, Parish of Rerrick, Edict only, Kirkcudbright Commissary Court
Andrew MICKLEMEAN, 28/11/1752, in Gile of Newlaw, Testament Dative and Inventory, Kirkcudbright Commissary Court

JAP

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for contributing - every contribution is helpful.  JAP, your find is great .... I'll check those Meiklemeans you have mentioned and get them through scotlandspeople. I'll also post again if there is anything interesting ;D

Scatza