Author Topic: Billy and stradey castle  (Read 3036 times)

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Billy and stradey castle
« on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who is researching the workers of Stradey Castle carmarthenshire late 1892-1950? Do you have information that you may have put aside as not needed by yourselves?
Thomas - Lewis are the surnames i am researching

I believe that I had an ancester who lived within one of the cottages on the estate, the names Mary ann and william known as Billy who was her son, it is believed that Billy worked on the estate and went on to have a son of the same name. he was born abt 1917. Mary Ann was in the salvation army at one point.
Looking for any clue
thanks sharon

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
Re: Billy and stradey castle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tegan,

My father was born on the Stradey Castle Estate in 1922, his parents lived at the Farm Cottage on the Estate. my grandfather James Lewis was the Butler at the Castle for many years. I went down to Pwll four or five years ago and met Sir David and he showed around the castle and his lovely wife showed me the grounds and the cottage were my father was born.

Regards
Sgt Tollers
Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).