Author Topic: Jefferiss in Coventry  (Read 4143 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jefferiss in Coventry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I was just reading all the posts to get up to date - and my laptop died (it likes to do this!) so I lost track of my thoughts (I do that too)

I agree there would be little to gain from the death certificate, given you have an age.

I checked your family perthWA -  amazing research - but I don't see a relationship. My Jeffress family (spelt in various ways) arrived in Sydney c. 1850 - and remained  in NSW for the next 150 years (well the ones I have traced).

I always have to get out my county map to check counties - the Cheshire seems possible - it isn't too far away. It would be nice to find the girls again, to double check!

A question - did only James come to Australia - should we be able to find the others in England?

Trish

Hi Ruskie - all is well - MarieC and I went to the archives last Friday - didn't find very much  :(  - it takes me ages to check the films!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 January 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I also had my suspicions that Cheshire may have been an error too PerthWA. It wouldn't be the first time.  ;)

Trish, I also wondered if James was the only one to come to Australia. Did I look for the rest of the family in 1861? Um, I think so, but the girls are probably married, and I don't think I could locate father Thomas. There are those couple of marriages that PerthWA found which may be the girls. Wouldn't be surprised if more members of the family ended up in Oz too.

[Glad you're hale and hearty Trish - I haven't been to the archives for some time but hope to go soon  ;)]

Offline PerthWA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 January 09 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I think I'll order certificates for the marriages of Elizabeth in 1855 (St. George Southwark Vol 1d Page 115) and Maria in 1854 (East London Vol 1c Page 7). Maybe I'll get lucky.  If I do it should help to fill out the family information and who knows, the 1861 census may even have information of their father! A rather fanciful thought!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 January 09 09:13 GMT (UK) »
It should be possible to take all the options on the marriages and look for Elizabeth and/or Maria - but I am trying without much luck. The only one I see is an Elizabeth Hunt (marriage Marylebone 1854) who is living in, and says she is born in Stratford on Avon - husband is away so I don't even know if it is Henry Hunt as per the page on the marriage!!

I keep hoping to find father living with one of the children - but sorry - no luck yet

Trish

Offline PerthWA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 February 09 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish & Ruskie

I received a marriage certificate today for Maria Jefferiss!  She married George Treacher 21st May 1854, aged 17. Her father is listed as Thomas Jefferiss, Dyer, so that matches.  Thomas Jefferiss was also a witness. I presume it was the father and not the brother.  I subsequently found the 1851 census for George and verified that the other witness was his sister Caroline who had married Henry John Tonge in Jun 1/4 1852.

But as is typical with this family, I can't find any further information on Maria or George. I was hoping to find the 1861 or later census so I could verify Maria was born in Cheshire and to fill out the tree a bit more. Maybe they emigrated.  James, her brother went to Australia, so I checked the Victorian BDM in Australia but without luck.

Oh well....one small step forward !!

Cheers

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 February 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Perth

I just had to read everything to revise my memory - I'll have a browse and see if I can find any Treachers in 1861. She was very young to marry!

Trish

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 February 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Not alot of joy

I found a couple of possible children in the East London district (where they married).
I also found a death for a George in 1860 - district St Martin (in the field)

but cannot see anything on the census at the minute - Ruskie might do better  :)

Trish

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 01:04 GMT (UK) »
No luck for me in 1861 either I'm afraid. Looks like Maria and George may have emigrated. All Australian states will need to be checked, just in case.  ;) Of course they may have gone to America.  ;D

Offline PerthWA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I hope they didn't go to America....I don't know how to search the records there!