Author Topic: Church=Earl Sterndale?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Church=Earl Sterndale?
« on: Monday 19 January 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a denizen of Priestcliffe Ditch who had his place of birth recorded as Church Sterndale in the 1861 census. At that time he was 66 years of age, so he was born before the Church at King Sterndale was built.

At one time I 'knew' that Church was Earl Sterndale but failed to document my source. Please - if somebody is able to confirm that Church Sterndale is/was Earl Sterndale then I would be very grateful! Can I read anything into his place of birth going by an unusual name, even though it's only over the hill from where the census was taken?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Church=Earl Sterndale?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
This information is from the DRO website.

The parish records guide is available to download.
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/our_collection/default.asp

EARL STERNDALE, bp 1765-1882 bp 1765-1882
St Michael & All Angels (D2382) m 1765-1963 m 1765-1963
Originally a chapelry in parish Hartington. ba
Part added to new parish King Sterndale 1851. bu 1765-1923 bu 1765-1923
Became separate parish 1873. Comprises
whole of Hartington Middle Quarter and
part of Upper Quarter.

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tuppie

It's strange to give a sprawling parish as was Church Sterndale Parish as your place of birth, especially when so close to where you were living at the time of the census. It hints that he was born well outside any of the villages and possibly not on a farm. Maybe my man was unsure where he was born.

For the record, the Civil Parishes 'corresponding'  with Church Sterndale in 1861 approximated Hartington Middle Quarter with Earl Sterndale Chapelry with a bit of Buxton too.

In 1851 my man had his place of birth recorded as 'Derbyshe Sterndale' and lower down on the same page is a bod born 'Do King Sterndale'.

In 1841 my man is born in the same county =Derbyshire.

I think I need another approach to track down 'my man'. And checking the parish registers is not conclusive because there are too many with his name.
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Church Sterndale
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 13 17:58 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 census, James NADIN (b abt 1795, living at Priestcliffe Ditch by Taddington) had his place of birth (Piece: 2539; Folio: 62; Page: 3) recorded as 'Church Sterndale'

Other censuses don't help. He was married at Bakewell (bride and groom both of Blackwell). His place of birth should help me identify the right baptism

Please -any advice on the location of Church Sterndale would be gratefully received

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi. If you use the Books option for Google:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=church+sterndale&tbm=bks
the second result says "...near to Earl (or Church) Sterndale, a small village 6 1/2 miles N.b.W. from Hartington and 5 miles SE from Buxton."
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
And there seems to be James Nadin listed as a farmer at Priestcliffe Ditch on page 453. Not taht it tells you anything else...
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Church=Earl Sterndale
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 March 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gardener

There's nobody gainsaying Church=Earl Sterndale, so that's how it stays for me.