Author Topic: Re: Home Children to Canada  (Read 29306 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 February 08 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi B,

These "computer things" are a great invention. 8)

C.

Offline brendam

• I am sorry my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 February 08 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi C,

Do you remember back in the day when we used to use those things called 'typewriters' and had to make carbon copies.  And ... had to use the telephone (a landline of all things) to get the information to type on those typewriter thingies!

B

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 February 08 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Those were the days 8)

The University of Liverpool Special Collections and Archives section holds  The Fairbridge Society Archive material as well as  Barnardos, NCH, and Family Service Units. Access to these records is restricted on the grounds of confidentiality and by the provisions of the Data Protection Act. Prior permission to the access records should be obtained from the organisations themselves.

Christopher

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I have made enquiries about getting Home Children records for my "ancestors" and Dr Barnardo's ask for next-of-kin references and a death certificate and providing there are no children will release copies of records for - wait for it - £100 each!  So, not many of us will be able to afford that sort of money.  When I queried they told me that they do not make any money out of this and that in actual fact they make a loss.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I have made enquiries about getting Home Children records for my "ancestors" and Dr Barnardo's ask for next-of-kin references and a death certificate and providing there are no children will release copies of records for - wait for it - £100 each!  So, not many of us will be able to afford that sort of money.  When I queried they told me that they do not make any money out of this and that in actual fact they make a loss.

I'm not surprised. If they dropped their prices at least there might be more money coming in. I don't understand why they are saying that they are making a loss when the University of Liverpool Special Collections and Archives section holds the records.

Christopher

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

I think so too!  It's a shame when you know there is information to be had but out of bounds moneywise!

I presumed that the records were coming from Dr Barnardo's themselves.  Shame we can't get them from Liverpool!

Regards

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I read this with interest, as two of my Great Uncles were sent to Canada as 'Home Children' by the NCH in the 1920's.

When the Shipping Lists became available online, my Uncle & I were able to find our relatives on them. I contacted the NCH Head Office in London & asked them for any records that they held on these boys. They wrote back saying that I would have to prove my relationship to them, (via BMD Certs, etc) before they could release anything. I compiled a dossier proving my blood relationship to them from my mother, & sent it to them.

The upshot was that the NCH then sent me everything that they had in their files on my G/Uncles...it makes for harrowing reading:-(

I should add that there was no charge made for this, although the photocopies that I was sent must have taken time & money to produce...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I think it depends on the organization  :-\

I believe Migky got his gr uncles papers from Salford Boys Refugee Home, hmm, can't remember, will have to pm Migky and ask him.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:46 GMT (UK) »
A detailed breakdown of that £100 would be interesting. I like their explanation when you queried the reasoning for the £100. Saying that they're making a loss neatly hides the fact that all they seem to be doing is giving you the authority to look at the records held by the University. A postage stamp, a sheet of paper, an envelope and the clerical worker's time can't possibly account for £100. There must be something else involved. Maybe when Barnados grant permission for you to look at the records the University charge them which is why they charge you.

Right ... Romilly wasn't charged by NCH, Cranstone was asked for £100 per head although permission to look at all documents is still covered by the postage stamp etc., and we're waiting for Migky's comments. I think you're right about Salford, Karen. Liverpool hold the records for Barnados and NCH. How come one search was free and the other is £100 per head? What are these Family Service Units mentioned on the University's site?

The Child Migrants Trust was established in 1987 by its Director, Margaret Humphreys OAM, to address the devastating impact of the child migration schemes

Christopher