Author Topic: Wallasey, Wirral - old knowledge or maps required please  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Slinx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Wallasey, Wirral - old knowledge or maps required please
« on: Tuesday 20 January 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just received a marriage cert for on of my wife's family from 1920 and the address for them at the time was 1 Hillside Cottages, Wallasey, Wirral.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this address or an old map that might show it's location?  All I can find in the area is Hillside Road.

Many thanks,

Slinx
Lovelock, Reeves, Catchpole, Izod, Toms, Brooks, Gilligan, Porter, Stenson, Woodhouse

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallasey, Wirral - old knowledge or maps required please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only reference to Hillside Cottages I can find is in a book called Sandstone & Mortar by Noel E Smith in which he refers to them being beside the Ship Inn (208 Breck Road, Wallasey). They wouldn't have been a separate street but the name of a group of cottages that were, by the sound of it, in Breck Road. Whether they are still there or not I'm afraid I don't know, perhaps someone who lives locally may be able to help.

The book also has some names relating to Hillside Cottages, Lucy Richards, Mrs Mary Richards, Charlie Goodman, Mrs Ann Barton & Bob Webster.

Andy

Offline Slinx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only reference to Hillside Cottages I can find is in a book called Sandstone & Mortar by Noel E Smith in which he refers to them being beside the Ship Inn (208 Breck Road, Wallasey). They wouldn't have been a separate street but the name of a group of cottages that were, by the sound of it, in Breck Road. Whether they are still there or not I'm afraid I don't know, perhaps someone who lives locally may be able to help.

The book also has some names relating to Hillside Cottages, Lucy Richards, Mrs Mary Richards, Charlie Goodman, Mrs Ann Barton & Bob Webster.

Andy

Thanks evry much Andy - that ties in with Hillside Road which exists now which is off Breck Road.  None of thiose names have come up in my research as yet but i'll make a note.

Many thanks,

Slinx
Lovelock, Reeves, Catchpole, Izod, Toms, Brooks, Gilligan, Porter, Stenson, Woodhouse

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I passed by a bit earlier.  There are still about four houses to the left of the Ship as you look at it.  They could possibly have been known as Hillside cottages in the past?  Where the car park is to the right of the Ship there is a back wall which possibly belonged to cottages that have been demolished.  Next time I go to the library I will look in the Kelly'Gores to try and pinpoint which side they were.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Slinx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
that's great thanks - just out of interest what is Kelly Gores?

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 January 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
that's great thanks - just out of interest what is Kelly Gores?

Street directories.  List the houses and the head of that house at the time (usually before someone corrects me).

You can use them two ways, look up the address e.g. 1 Hillside cottage ... Fred Smith or look up Fred Smith and find he is living in 1 Hillside cottage.  Goes back to the 19th century and finished in the late sixties I think but stand to be corrected.  Wallasey library have a lot missing because they were lost through bombing in the war.  Birkenhead has a full set. Better get there before they all get closed down. I will probably not be able to get there until Tuesday though.

Very progressive Council here on Wirral closing a lot of our libraries.   >:(
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Lisa1975

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great x 2 Grandparents Emily & Wilhelm Berning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
Apologies for bumping an old thread but i was reading the book Wallasey, Now and Then and saw an entry regarding Hillside Cottages.

The three cottages were to the right of the Ship Inn (as you would look at it from the other side of the road) where the car park is now .

I took a photo of the cottages from the book but i'm not sure if i can upload it here due to copyright.

The notes accompanying the photos say that in 1911, the cottages were occupied by Robert and Catherine Webster, Jane Goodman and Daughters and Anne Barton

The book is still available to buy from Amazon etc
Hall/Dickins/Dickens/Griffin family - Stewkley, Bucks
West family - Grays/Hockley/Horndon, Essex
Berning family - Germany/London
Trevena family - Liverpool/Wirral
Kipling/Johnson family - Hull
Carney family - Congleton, Liverpool, Galway
Gill family - London
Le Prevost, Cohu,Mahy, Brehaut and Robin families - Guernsey

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk