Author Topic: School Records  (Read 3456 times)

Offline barbmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
School Records
« on: Thursday 10 February 05 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I can find the School Records for Skelton in Cleveland 1871.

My G.G.Grandfather Charles Horton is on the 1871 Census aged 7 a Scholar, the address is Back Lane, Skelton.
I can't find a record of his birth anywhere and hope his birth date is entered on his School Records.

I would be grateful for any help.
Regards Barbara

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: School Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Some areas have school records in the County record office.
Are you sure he was born in Skelton?  Have you looked on other censuses for the family could have been born somewhere else

There's a clutch of Hortons on the records for Skelton, but none before 1870
Adams,Bownes, Brown, Law,Linley,Pickering,Sedman,Suckley

Offline barbmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
HI
Charles Horton was born in Wales but on the 1871 census he is listed as a scholar, the address is back Lane, Skelton, Cleveland.

I have tried all other avenues to discover his birth date, this is the only source left that I can think of.
Regards Barbara

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 05 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched the birth records under Haughton or other variants   A long shot but he might be there.
Andrea

Offline barbmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 March 05 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

I have tried every possible variation, I have his marriage certificate and death certificate, Burial record. But no record of his birth, I have been to the main library in Wales to look at the parish records, , tried his records through the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board (he worked there from 1890 to his death in 1935, Hospital records. I have managed to track down a few family members but no one knew anything about him. He was my fathers Grandfather, but he can't remember him. I am bginning to think he may have been illigitimate, and born with a different name. Although I did look for any child born around that time to his mother Mary (maiden name Morgan)I thought if I had his date of birth it may have helped track him down. He may well have been born in another area of Wales. If you can think of any other source please let me know, I'll try anything.

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 05 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked for the family on ealier censuses? He won't be on them but you might find where they were.
Ask for a look up on the Welsh lists.
Although they could be in England somewhere. If you knew where they were in 1861 it might narrow it down.

Have you considered the fact that she might have been married before if you can't find a Morgan birth to fit. On the 1881 he is 17 there is a  gap between the ages. Either there are some children died, which is likely or she wasn't married to anybody at the time i.e. a widow.  I noticed a marriage in 1859 on Free BMD for Mary Morgan  in Rhayader. 

There is also a Charles MORGANS    March 1864

MORGANS  Charles    Rhyader  11b 186

Both Morgan and Morgans are in the area at the time 

Adams,Bownes, Brown, Law,Linley,Pickering,Sedman,Suckley