Author Topic: Woodcocks in Worksop  (Read 3367 times)

Offline betton39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcocks in Worksop
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 09 05:29 BST (UK) »

what i meant to say mike - if she finds an address or area it might be situated in one place - closer to a certain village , but have the address of another.
Eg. my uncle worked for the buchannons at Hodsock Priory, Blyth.
he lived at a Farm called Fleecethorpe, which was closer to Blyth - but the address was Ranby.

the directories at worksop Library could come in useful - if she could estimate a year.......

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Betton39 - Sorry, I wasn't arguing with what you said at all - I was agreeing with you in my clumsy way. A farm "between Worksop and Retford" could be anywhere and called anything, so a little more detail would help enormously. We're quite lucky in that the farming community around here is still very close-knit - everyone knows everyone else and their family histories and what they grew in that particular field in 1943 etc. (Just for your interest, by the way, I have Fleecethorpe occurring in the 12th century as Flixthorp, where the Priory of Blyth had interests. Originally Flicca's thorp - hamlet/village - from the days of the Danish occupation).

So, Sunshine, ... does your cousin Roger have the surname Woodcock?
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline Bedfordca

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 October 19 23:00 BST (UK) »
My Dad was Roger Woodcock, he was the only child of George and Janet Woodcock.  They lived in Eastgate early in their married life, then became tenant farmers of Manton Farm, then moved to a farm in Bothamsall. Might my dad be cousin Roger?