Author Topic: 1841/51/61 census look-up please  (Read 811 times)

Offline Tremough

• My works email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841/51/61 census look-up please
« on: Thursday 10 February 05 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for Thomas Rowe who was born in c1834 in either Newquay, Kea, Kenwyn or Truro according to various census returns from 1871 onwards.  He married Margaret who was born in Plymouth (St Andrews) c1839.  They were late starting a family, Thomas (junior) was born in 1868, Plymouth. They were living in St Clement's Street, Truro in 1871. My grandfather, Richard Rowe was born in 1872 in Kenwyn. Thomas Snr was a labourer.

I would appreciate some help.  I found a Thomas Rowe and Margaret Pascoe who married in 1867 in Plymouth but I'm not sure that they my family as there is only a 2 year gap in their ages on the marriage certificate, whereas my family has about a 5 year gap in their ages according to census returns.

I've just seem to have hit a dead end.

I would really appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Patricia
Moore (Somerset/Cornwall/Wales), Rowe (Cornwall), Hill (Kerry, Ireland/Cornwall), Johns (Wales/Cornwall), Champion (Cornwall/USA), Fidock (Cornwall/Australia)

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/51/61 census look-up please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 05 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Rowe is so common in Cornawall that it's impossible for me to go searching them all now.  Have you tried either this site and to search each area you suspect  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kayhin/cocp.html
or this site which is a pay per view site https://www.familyhistoryonline.net/login/login_submit.pl

These are the margarets I found in the Devon 1851 census which may be of use.
BROWN, Margaret   Daur   <1840>   Plymouth-DEV   Plymouth Charles Martyr
CALLER, Margaret   Daur   <1840>   Plymouth-DEV   Plymouth St Andrew
COLLINGS, Margaret   Daur   <1838>   Plymouth-Dev   Plymouth St Andrew
CORK, Margaret   Daur   <1839>   Plymouth-DEV   Bickleigh In Plympton St Mary
TOOKER, Margaret   Daur   <1838>   Plymouth-DEV   Plymouth St Andrew

Cheers

Kieran
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline Tremough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 05 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, Kieran. I have tried the sites you mention, but as you say, Rowe is such a popular name in Cornwall, especially Thomas. If only he had a more unusual first name! I know when I searched for Thomas Rowe on the familyhistoryonline site I would have had to pay something like £25 just to access all the Thomas Rowes that came up. It's a pity that the site doesn't give just a little bit more information so that you could perhaps narrow down the hits. I have found a Margaret Downing who was born in Devon but lived in Cornwall who married a Thomas Rowe in Penzance in 1868, so I've ordered a marriage certificate in the vain hope that she might be the one!

Regards
Patricia
Moore (Somerset/Cornwall/Wales), Rowe (Cornwall), Hill (Kerry, Ireland/Cornwall), Johns (Wales/Cornwall), Champion (Cornwall/USA), Fidock (Cornwall/Australia)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 06 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

Has this one been solved yet? I see it did no good a year ago. Let us know if you still require the information and let us know what you now know and we will give it another try for you....Kris   :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 05:23 BST (UK) »
This is quite an old request and as you have not let us know if you still require the lookup, I am moving it to the Completed Requests Board. If you do still require the lookup, Please let me know and I will be happy to return it to the Requests Board for you.

Best Wishes.......Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tremough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris. I'm unable to do much research on my ancesters as present, so thank you for your interest and please move it to the completed request board.