Author Topic: 1901 census and adopted children?  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census and adopted children?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 January 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
We had a similar conundrum which remained unsolved until the 1911 census prompted a bit of lateral thinking.

My grandmother (I’ll call her Mary) and her brothers were orphaned in the 1890s.  The younger brother went to live with his uncle George (father’s brother) and was described as “nephew” in 1901.  That was straightforward.  But Mary and her elder brother were living with a seemingly unrelated family and described as “adopted”.  However, we felt there was a connection as two of the children in this family had names that “run” in Mary’s family.

We got the MC for the adoptive couple, but couldn’t trace a birth reg for the wife, Ellen.  Her maiden name was the same as Mary’s grandmother (albeit spelt differently), but we couldn’t find anyone in the tree to match her.

1911, Mary is still with this family, but now described as “niece”, and what’s more, her cousin from her uncle George’s family is also there and also described as “niece” (are you lost yet?!).  So we took a good look at Mary’s parents’ sisters, and finally deduced that Ellen was her father’s eldest sister, baptised Helen but sometimes recorded as Ellen.  We had never been able to find a marriage or death for her, or any mention of her after 1871.  It seems she married using her mother’s maiden name, for reasons we can’t be sure of but may have been because both of them were under 21.  Perhaps there was some family opposition and they were covering their tracks.

Anyway, I offer it as an illustration of someone who really was a niece being described as “adopted”, and of how things are not always what they seem, even on official documents.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 January 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I have not found futher signs of Fanny for definite, but the death of Margaret Ada BUTLER was registered in Lambeth Dec. qtr, 1892, 1d, 285 aged 8.

I should have mentioned previously that like your Charlotte BRUNGER, Charlotte BUTLER aslo gave her bith place as Uxbridge.

I have been unable to find any likely trace of Maud in 1901, apart from a really long shot, in Lambeth New Schools there is a Maud BEDFORD (wrong name I know) recorded as inmate, born Lambeth 1890. I can find no birth registration for this name in Lambeth, and no Maud BEDFORD born Lambeth in the 1891 census, so just considering the possibility there was an error in the name.

Have you viewed the image of the Maud Ellen BRUNGER aged 25 in Woolwich in 1911. It is not uncommon for ages to be out on the census.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline m1ldmay4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 January 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm hesitant to move from the 1890 birth year for MAUD BRUNGER as the 1891 census shows her there plus my Dad has always talked of a twin sister to his father. I have a copy of the Birth reg for 1890 and it shows them there. You and the others have given me lots to think about, not least the inaccuracies in the transcripts and changes of names over time. I'll keep digging nonetheless.

Offline m1ldmay4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 January 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
On a slightly unrelated note, can you recommend any inexpensive Family Tree software I could use to record all this?? Thanks.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 January 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
You may find this site useful, tor Google Family History Software, there are quite a few programmes out there, most of which you can download trial versions to experiment with, always a good idea as it is very much a matter of personal choice in the end.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 January 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know the problem with the 1901 census on Find my Past seems to have cleared up.

I found Alfred by putting in Alfred B* er born 1890 plus or minus 2 and birth place Brixton. It doesn't seem to work for Maud Ellen . I have tried lots of different combinations of entries but no luck yet.

Barbara
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline m1ldmay4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that. i now have the "official" transcribed document for my pile. The mystery over his twin sister is still bugging me. I have a record of her birth along with Alfred and she appears on the 1891 census. She then seems to have vanished into thin air! 'If' her mother was Charlotte and is the one who died in 1893 then the twins could have gone into care or been adopted, but by whom??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, but I'll keep digging online. I guess I now need some lateral thinking.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the Maud in Woolwich in 1911 can't be her.  She comes up as wife with a Thomas Brunger (38) and several children.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 January 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
On a slightly unrelated note, can you recommend any inexpensive Family Tree software I could use to record all this?? Thanks.

someone is selling a new family tree maker disc over on the for sale board, may be of interest to you.

Other wise you could dowloand the PAF (personal ancestry file) from here

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

The 'companion' is also good, and for a couple of £££s you can have the full version which does all sorts of charts, fonts, colours etc.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"