Author Topic: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??  (Read 15249 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« on: Friday 23 January 09 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about Mary KEARNS (or possibly CAIRNS) who travelled from England to Sydney Australia aboard the 'Friendship' in 1817.

Mary was- I believe- a widow with 2 children. She paid for the passage of herself and her children. Her maiden name is alleged to be CHITTY.

Are there outgoing passenger lists that mey feature Mary and her children, or passport applications for 1817??

I have been unable to glean any further information about Mary from Australian records, except the conjecture (ie. I have found no documents to prove it) that she was the widow of a Lieutenant Matthew Kearns and her maiden name was Chitty.

Can anyone help with information about Mary from the British records end please????

Kylie B

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kearns Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 09 07:08 BST (UK) »
 Hello,

a possible mariage NSW records

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/IndexSearch?

V18212849 3B/1821      GLOVER      THOMAS      KEARNS      MARY

there are others but they are before 1817 and 1842 and later.

3 early Mary Glover deaths

V18321691 16/1832      GLOVER      MARY A      AGE 49                   
V18341688 18/1834    GLOVER    MARY    AGE 41              
V18382800 22/1838    GLOVER    MARY    

others are much later.

Can't see anything in the Tasmanian records online 

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8

you could try joining some rootsweb mailing lists for TAsmania , , Norfolk Islandetc

aus-pt-jackson-convicts-request[at]rootsweb.com

aus-norfolk-is-request[at]rootsweb.com

have alook aat th elists and you may fins reafy assitance there.

regards

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Kearns Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn
Thank you- I already have Mary's marriage - to Thomas Glover, and her death in 1834. However, because these certificates are so early, there is very little info on them.
According to the Pioneer register of Sydney- Mary Kearns was the widow of Lt Matthew Kearns, maiden name Chitty. That is where this info comes from.
I have the passenger list from the Friendship which lists Mary with '2 children'.

So I am hoping there may be some way of tracing them from the other end- ie. Britain.

They had no connection with Tasmania as far as I know - sorry a bit confused by that reference??

Kylie B

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary KEARNS Britain to Sydney- who was she??
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 April 09 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I think that perhaps the following link may give you info http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/k/F30c_ka-ke-03.htm#P1402_42882 about her early circumstances in Colonial NSW.  Sorry, I have not found name of vessel that brought her and her 2 children to NSW.

If this is your Mary, then her name was noted as Mary KEARNES on 8 Sept 1821, and two children are also noted.   The records are on film held at NSW State Archives, and the link above indicates these as (Reel 6016; 4/5781 p.69) which would be clue for anyone who can do a look up for you. 

Cheers,  MA.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 09 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Perhaps your Mary arrived about 14 Jan 1818 on the vessel "Friendship" I have spotted a Mary Kearns with two children, on those NSW Col Sec papers, and the archives reference seems to be (Reel 6047; 4/1740 p.67)
Other references include a Kearns M.C. who was a 'Captain's Steward" on that same voyage, (Reel 6005; 4/3497 pp.315-7)

I put those references in these postings  in case you or others can get to the NSW State Archives, they are on outskirts of western Sydney.

Cheers, MA.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching the same family re Glover. I think Mary Kearns was Irish as Thomas, James John and Mary in the New South Wales births, marriages and deaths have two registration numbers notifying their births.I am the descendant of Mary, their fourth child, my 3xgreat grandmother. Mary went on to marry my grandfathers father, Thomas Keller in 1849 in Sydney. He was born in Ireland.I also believe Thomas Glover and Mary Kearns only had the four children.Thomad died in 1836 at age 41.

Offline carnay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 April 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
a little more information. Mary Kearns was born around 1795 in Ireland .She married Thomas (also born 1795 in England) She did come on the ship "Friendship" in 1818-1820 and married Thomas in 1821 at St.Phillips Church of England Sydney and son Thomas born 1821.I would be interested to know about the two children she had with her on the voyage as she was a widow. Any information about those two children would be appreciated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 09 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

The NSW Col Sec papers http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm covering period 1788 - 1825 has just one entry for anyone surnamed CHITTY (a possible surname for those 2 children).  The online index seems to indicate the right time frame, but most likely for an adult, name of Joseph Chitty, 21 Nov 1818, Reel 6047;  4/1740  pp 13 -4, and it seems to have been some kind of legal document sent by Earl Bathurst (ie from UK administration offices) to NSW for use in a court case in NSW. 

Cheers, MA

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 05:46 BST (UK) »
Another source would be the 1828 census of NSW which I understand is indexed etc on A******try.  I don't have access unfortunately. Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey